Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VB code and browser compatibility

1. Mar 4, 2004 #1
    Here are some screenshots of my post as viewed by IE6 on Windows XP.

My post seems to have neither a large gap nor multiple large gaps. Could you give directions to where in the post you specifically see a gap, and/or post screenshots? Could you also say what browser software you are using?

-Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2004 #2

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with zooby, your posts are quite a challenge to read.

You might consider using a colour other than 'grey' (if you take a look using Netscape rather than IE you'll see it can make a difference).

Also, you seem to be fond of lots of blank lines; [ QUOTE ] already adds a blank line, both before and after; you seem to add even more.

4. Mar 5, 2004 #3
    Chris's postings are abominations to any decent sense of layout aesthetics

Zoobyshoe said, regarding one post in particular, that there was a "gap ... between the end of [the] quote and the end of [the] post" which made it "difficult to scroll."He mentioned nothing about my posts being a challenge to read.
    Could you post a screenshot?Also, are you using ClearType or a similar text enhancer.If not, you might want to try that, since it triples the horizontal resolution and makes the text look nearly like that from a high-quality textbook.
    I jam my responses right up next to the bottom of the closing quote tag.Since this particular bulletin board code seems to add a large space regardless, I adopted the habit of adding five carriage returns between my answer and the beginning of the next quote, so the layout would not be confusing to read.Regarding whitespace, could you, again, post a screenshot?And, also, it is my understanding that adding some whitespace to a layout, instead of having solid, wall-to-wall ink, improves readability.-Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?