Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VB.NET Express

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1
    Hey guys!

I need to write a few simple utilities for working with files. They are really basic. I just realized I don't even have a compiler! I know VisualBasic and Borland Delphi (so I'm practically worthless), but I don't have either compiler.

I saw that Microsoft offers VBNetExpress which is a free version of Visual Basic but it uses .NET2.0 which is beta? I wouldn't use anything related to .NET, I'd really only be shelling to command.com, running a few commands and analyzing some files and strings. That's it.

Can I program such simple things in VBNetExpress (I still don't even know what .NET is!)? Or is there any other free compiler that I could use for such a thing?

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2
    .Net is a basically a new platform that is more "universal", for instance you can easily convert your code from VB to C#.
    Visual studios which uses the .Net framework has a better graphical interface. Codewise, i just think it has become worse. It is a better environment for Windows development but i just don't like it as well as the previous visual studios.

I have read about VB.NET Express, not sure what it is yet but i have gotten the picture that it is a new environment for "dummies", making it easier to learn for newbies. Although i am not sure, they say that it should have full .Net capabilities so i reckon that it can become rather powerfull.
  4. Aug 24, 2004 #3
    Here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=en

95/98/me have the WSH already installed (but not turned on). Enable the host just before you use it and disable it immediatly afterward.

Good Luck.
  5. Aug 25, 2004 #4
    Actually the idea behind .NET is that you don't _need_ to convert code from one language to another since different languages interact seemlessly if if you follow CLS.
  6. Aug 25, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus

Don't forget that all the users that run your program need to have the same version of the .NET framework
  7. Aug 26, 2004 #6
    Huh? What exactly do you mean?
  8. Aug 26, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus

It means, like java, you need to have the bytecode interpreter to run your .NET programs. Microsoft has basically locked you into their platform by programming in .NET.
  9. Aug 26, 2004 #8
    I've heard that the VBNET.Express uses .NET 2.0 Beta or something. Do you think if I only used things that were in the .NET 1.1 it would be backward compatible?

I need to read up on .NET. I'm just not sure about it. I've seen some example code of people using .NET stuff and it is just a bunch of weird calls or something .. I dunno :)
  10. Aug 26, 2004 #9
    Ah, OK. You scared me :) I thought you said something about versions and you were actually talking about the virtual machine. Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader.

If you want to develop using .NET on UNIX you can always use MONO or DotGNU.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?