Creating Simple Utilities with Free Compilers

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary: You can also use MONO to develop on Windows and run your programs on UNIX (you could even run it without installing MONO if you static link).In summary, the conversation discusses the need to write simple utilities for working with files and the lack of a compiler. The individual mentions using VBNetExpress, a free version of Visual Basic, but expresses concerns about it using .NET 2.0, which is in beta. They also mention considering other free compilers and express confusion about .NET and its capabilities. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of converting code from VB to C# and the need for users to have the same version of .NET framework. There is also a mention of the compatibility of .NET 1.
aychamo
Hey guys!

I need to write a few simple utilities for working with files. They are really basic. I just realized I don't even have a compiler! I know VisualBasic and Borland Delphi (so I'm practically worthless), but I don't have either compiler.

I saw that Microsoft offers VBNetExpress which is a free version of Visual Basic but it uses .NET2.0 which is beta? I wouldn't use anything related to .NET, I'd really only be shelling to command.com, running a few commands and analyzing some files and strings. That's it.

Can I program such simple things in VBNetExpress (I still don't even know what .NET is!)? Or is there any other free compiler that I could use for such a thing?

Thank you
Aychamo

Computer science news on Phys.org
.Net is a basically a new platform that is more "universal", for instance you can easily convert your code from VB to C#.
Visual studios which uses the .Net framework has a better graphical interface. Codewise, i just think it has become worse. It is a better environment for Windows development but i just don't like it as well as the previous visual studios.

I have read about VB.NET Express, not sure what it is yet but i have gotten the picture that it is a new environment for "dummies", making it easier to learn for newbies. Although i am not sure, they say that it should have full .Net capabilities so i reckon that it can become rather powerfull.

aychamo said:
Hey guys!

I need to write a few simple utilities for working with files. They are really basic. I just realized I don't even have a compiler! I know VisualBasic and Borland Delphi (so I'm practically worthless), but I don't have either compiler.

I saw that Microsoft offers VBNetExpress which is a free version of Visual Basic but it uses .NET2.0 which is beta? I wouldn't use anything related to .NET, I'd really only be shelling to command.com, running a few commands and analyzing some files and strings. That's it.

Can I program such simple things in VBNetExpress (I still don't even know what .NET is!)? Or is there any other free compiler that I could use for such a thing?

Thank you
Aychamo

Here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=en

95/98/me have the WSH already installed (but not turned on). Enable the host just before you use it and disable it immediatly afterward.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dilbert said:
for instance you can easily convert your code from VB to C#.

Actually the idea behind .NET is that you don't _need_ to convert code from one language to another since different languages interact seemlessly if if you follow CLS.

Don't forget that all the users that run your program need to have the same version of the .NET framework

dduardo said:
Don't forget that ...

Huh? What exactly do you mean?

It means, like java, you need to have the bytecode interpreter to run your .NET programs. Microsoft has basically locked you into their platform by programming in .NET.

I've heard that the VBNET.Express uses .NET 2.0 Beta or something. Do you think if I only used things that were in the .NET 1.1 it would be backward compatible?

I need to read up on .NET. I'm just not sure about it. I've seen some example code of people using .NET stuff and it is just a bunch of weird calls or something .. I don't know :)

dduardo said:
It means [...] you need to have the bytecode interpreter

Ah, OK. You scared me :) I thought you said something about versions and you were actually talking about the virtual machine. Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader.

dduardo said:
Microsoft has basically locked you into their platform by programming in .NET

If you want to develop using .NET on UNIX you can always use MONO or DotGNU.

1. What are free compilers?

Free compilers are software tools that are used to convert high-level programming languages, such as Java or C++, into machine code that can be executed by a computer. They are called "free" because they are available for use at no cost.

2. Why should I use free compilers to create simple utilities?

Free compilers are a great option for creating simple utilities because they are easy to use, have a small file size, and do not require any additional software or licenses. Additionally, they are constantly being updated and improved by the open-source community.

3. What are some examples of simple utilities that can be created with free compilers?

Some examples of simple utilities that can be created with free compilers include text editors, file managers, and image viewers. These types of utilities are great for beginner programmers to practice their skills and learn the basics of programming.

4. Are there any limitations to using free compilers for creating utilities?

While free compilers are great for creating simple utilities, they may have some limitations compared to paid compilers. For example, they may not have as many advanced features or support for certain programming languages. However, for basic utility creation, free compilers are more than sufficient.

5. How can I get started with using free compilers to create simple utilities?

To get started, you can download a free compiler such as GCC or Clang and choose a programming language to work with. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn how to use these compilers and create simple utilities. Practice and experimentation are key to becoming proficient in using free compilers for utility creation.