Understanding VCCS Circuit Analysis: Solving for Vo in terms of Vi

In summary, the conversation focuses on an incorrect answer for Vo in terms of Vi, with one person stating that the book is wrong and another person disagreeing and providing an explanation for the negative output. The conversation also discusses the importance of correctly stating parameters in order to find the correct answer.
Jarvis323
attachment.php?attachmentid=63315&stc=1&d=1382840409.jpg

I solved for Vo in terms of Vi and I get the negative of the correct answer according to the book. Someone told me that the TA set the node to the left of Vo = to -Vo, and this explains why my answer is the negative, but I don't understand why the node adjacent to Vo is -Vo instead of just Vo.

Attachments

• op-amp.jpg
    op-amp.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I know why it becomes -Vo. Draw out the flow of current on the left side and it should be going upwards right?

When you do the analysis, you would do (ground-Vo)/2 = gm*vx, giving the -Vo

Likes 1 person
But if you do the KCL that way, then you are defining the current (ground - Vo) / 2 going into the node, and the other current is going out, so they must be defined to be of opposite sign. So you would instead subtract and you would get the same thing

gmVx + (Vo - 0) = 0
or
gmVx - (0 - Vo) = 0

either way it's the same thing.

tAllan said:
But if you do the KCL that way, then you are defining the current (ground - Vo) / 2 going into the node, and the other current is going out, so they must be defined to be of opposite sign. So you would instead subtract and you would get the same thing

gmVx + (Vo - 0) = 0
or
gmVx - (0 - Vo) = 0

These equations are dimensionally inconsistent.

Summing currents at Vo to zero one obtains
gmVx + Vo/2K = 0

rude man said:
These equations are dimensionally inconsistent.

Summing currents at Vo to zero one obtains
gmVx + Vo/2K = 0

Your right, I accidentally left out the / 2k on the post. But I still don't see why it should be the negative.

tAllan said:
Your right, I accidentally left out the / 2k on the post. But I still don't see why it should be the negative.

Look at the equation summing currents to zero!

The equation summing currents to 0 gives Vo = -gmVx. In the problem, gm is 2m / 1 ohm. I solve the left side using mesh analysis, or voltage division and get Vx = .5 Vi, then with node analysis on the right side, you get Vo = -2Vx, Vo = -Vi. But the book gets Vo = Vi.

So rude man also gets the wrong answer. But why?

tAllan said:
The equation summing currents to 0 gives Vo = -gmVx. In the problem, gm is 2m / 1 ohm. I solve the left side using mesh analysis and get Vx = .5 Vi, then with node analysis on the right side, you get Vo = -2Vx, Vo = -Vi. But the book gets Vo = Vi.

So rude man also gets the wrong answer. But why?

Rude man doesn't get the wrong answer, neither do you. The book gets the wrong answer.

PS what does "gm is 2m / 1 ohm" mean? I assume it means gm = 1 mA/V. Otherwise you don't get Vo = - Vi for an answer.

Likes 1 person
You're right, sorry, I meant that the book gets Vo = 2 Vi, and I get Vo = -2Vi.

But are you sure the book is wrong? On another forum, I got one person agreeing with me that the book is wrong, and another person said this,
the circuit shown equals the classical equivalent small-signal ac circuit diagram for a common emitter transistor amplifier. As you will know, this amplifier has inverting gain characteristics.
Thus, for a positive input voltage, the output is negative, indeed.

tAllan said:

But are you sure the book is wrong? On another forum, I got one person agreeing with me that the book is wrong, and another person said this,

OK, then the VCCS gm = 2mA/V. But Vo is still negative.

Unless you have the polarity of gm wrong too. If gm = -2mA/V then Vo = +2Vi.

Try to get all the parameters stated right ... would be helpful ...

tAllan said:

What's the problem? This statement ALSO says the output is negative!
We all agree the book is wrong!

1. What is VCCS circuit analysis?

VCCS (Voltage Controlled Current Source) circuit analysis is a method used to analyze and solve circuits that contain voltage controlled current sources. These sources can be represented by a VCCS transfer function, which relates the output current to an input voltage.

2. How is VCCS circuit analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

VCCS circuit analysis is unique in that it specifically focuses on circuits that contain voltage controlled current sources. This allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of these types of circuits compared to other methods.

3. What is the goal of solving for Vo in terms of Vi in VCCS circuit analysis?

The goal of solving for Vo in terms of Vi in VCCS circuit analysis is to determine the output voltage (Vo) of the circuit in relation to the input voltage (Vi). This helps in understanding the behavior of the circuit and how changes in the input voltage may affect the output voltage.

4. What are the necessary steps to solve for Vo in terms of Vi in VCCS circuit analysis?

The first step is to identify the VCCS sources in the circuit and determine their transfer functions. Next, the circuit is simplified using Kirchhoff's laws and other circuit analysis techniques. Then, the transfer functions are substituted into the simplified circuit equations. Finally, the equations are solved for Vo in terms of Vi.

5. What are the applications of VCCS circuit analysis?

VCCS circuit analysis is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as amplifiers and filters. It is also useful in understanding the behavior of feedback circuits, as well as in the analysis of control systems and electronic networks.