Understanding VAV, VRMS, & VDC Voltages

• Thread starter asad1111
  • Start date
In summary, VRMS (root mean square voltage) is not the same as equivalent DC voltage, and VAV (average voltage) and VDC (direct current voltage) are also not the same. The average voltage of a sinewave over a whole 360 degrees is zero, but the power is not zero due to positive and negative voltages being equally effective. The RMS voltage is 1/√2 times the peak voltage level or 0.707 times the peak voltage. The mnemonic for finding RMS voltage is to square the instantaneous values, find the mean (average) of those squared values, and then take the square root. This is different from finding the simple average of the instantaneous values.
asad1111
i have read that vrms is the same as equivalent dc voltage but i have also read that vav and vdc are same but vav and vrms is not same vrms of sinosoid is zero but vav of sinousoid is not zero where i am wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
asad1111 said:
i have read that vrms is the same as equivalent dc voltage but i have also read that vav and vdc are same but vav and vrms is not same vrms of sinosoid is zero but vav of sinousoid is not zero where i am wrong?

You have most of that wrong.

You might like to read the Wikipedia article about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

However, the average voltage of a sinewave (over a whole 360 degrees) is zero, but the power isn't zero because positive and negative voltages are equally effective at producing power, assuming a constant resistive load.
The average over a half wave is 0.637 times the peak value.

The RMS voltage of a sinewave is 1/√2 times the peak voltage level or 0.707 times the peak voltage.

Last edited:
Vrms = sqrt[Vmeansquare(t)] =sqrt[∫V(t)2dt/∫dt] integrated over a complete cycle.

Vav = ∫V(t)dt/∫dt.

RMS mnemonic:
it's backwards.

instant by instant:
Square the instantaneous value
find Mean (average) of those squared values
square Root of that mean is RMS

and clearly that's a lot different from a simple average of the instantaneous values.
for one thing squaring them discards their signs.

but i think backwards so it's natural to me...

1. What is the difference between VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages?

VAV (Volts Alternating Current) refers to the voltage of an alternating current system, which constantly changes direction. VRMS (Voltage Root Mean Square) is the effective or average voltage of an alternating current system. VDC (Volts Direct Current) refers to the voltage of a direct current system, which flows in one direction.

2. How are VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages measured?

VAV and VRMS voltages are typically measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the waveforms of the alternating current. VDC voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which reads the direct voltage in a circuit.

3. What is the significance of VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages in electrical systems?

VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages are important in determining the power and efficiency of electrical systems. VAV and VRMS voltages are used to calculate the power in an alternating current system, while VDC voltage is used to calculate the power in a direct current system.

4. How do VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages affect the performance of electrical appliances?

The type of voltage used in an electrical appliance depends on its design and function. Some appliances, such as computers and electronic devices, require a steady VDC voltage to operate properly. Others, like household appliances, can function with either VAV or VRMS voltages.

5. Can VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages be converted from one type to another?

Yes, VAV, VRMS, and VDC voltages can be converted using electrical devices such as transformers, which can change the voltage level without changing the frequency. However, the conversion process may result in some energy loss.