"Trouble with Vector Symbols in Drafts - What to do?"

In summary, the conversation is about how to correctly insert the vector symbol in LaTeX. The participants discuss using the command ##\vec x## or ##\vec {x_1}## and whether or not braces are necessary. They also mention that the red underlining in the editor is likely from the spellchecker.
Janosh89
Can anyone help? What is the convention for inserting the vector symbol?
I have a draft with -(\vec{2.5})^2 which displays correctly in preview
##-(\vec{2.5})^2\\##
why is vec troublesome and underlined in red?? Should I ignore!
I realize that I'm not using a variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Janosh89 said:
Can anyone help? What is the convention for inserting the vector symbol?
I have a draft with -(\vec{2.5})^2 which displays correctly in preview
##-(\vec{2.5})^2\\##
why is vec troublesome and underlined in red?? Should I ignore!
I realize that I'm not using a variable.
What you have is how this command is used. I don't see any red underlining.

##\vec x## - Raw script \vec x
##\vec {x_1}## - Raw script \vec{x_1}
The braces, { }, used in the 2nd example are not required in this and most other commands when what follows the command is a single character. If there are two or more characters, you have to use braces to indicate what is included.

Before anyone else jumps into comment about 2.5 not being a vector, this post is about LaTeX use, not vectors per se.

Likes blue_leaf77 and Janosh89
Thanks for the full description, Mark44

The red underlining is probably the spellchecker doing that in the editor. Those are not very sophisticated when it comes to anything that is not a word of the English language.

Likes Janosh89 and jim mcnamara

1. Why are my vector symbols not showing up in my drafts?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that the vector symbols are properly inserted into your drafts and not just linked to an external source. Also, check if the symbols are hidden or placed behind other objects. Another possibility is that the vector symbols are not compatible with the software you are using.

2. How can I fix the issue of vector symbols appearing distorted or pixelated in my drafts?

This could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure that the vector symbols have a high enough resolution for the size they are being displayed at. Also, check if the symbols are being scaled up or down disproportionately. If the issue persists, it could be due to a compatibility issue or a problem with the software.

3. Can I use vector symbols from different sources in the same draft?

Yes, you can use vector symbols from different sources in the same draft. However, make sure that the symbols are compatible with the software you are using and that they have a consistent resolution to avoid any issues with appearance.

4. How can I ensure that my vector symbols will be visible to others when I share my drafts?

If you are sharing your drafts with others, make sure to embed or include the vector symbols rather than just linking to them. This will ensure that the symbols will be visible to others even if they do not have access to the original source files.

5. Is there a way to convert vector symbols to raster images in my drafts?

Yes, most design software will have the option to rasterize vector symbols. However, keep in mind that this will convert the symbols into pixels, which may result in a loss of quality or resolution. It is best to use vector symbols whenever possible for the highest quality and flexibility in your drafts.