Finding Displacement: Sketch & Solve w/ Cosine Law

In summary, a man walks 120m [S 23 E] and then turns and walks 60m [S 10 N]. Using the cosine law, the displacement can be solved for without having to solve for the direction. The solution was attached as a photo and appears to be correct.
Jeremy Mercier

Homework Statement

A man walks 120m [S 23 E] Then turns and walks 60m [S 10 N] draw a careful sketch of this situation and then solve for the displacement, you do not have to solve for the direction

2. Relevant equation:
Cosine law

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution attempt is attached as a photo, I think I might have done it right but I would like someone to check it over

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeremy Mercier said:

Homework Statement

A man walks 120m [S 23 E] Then turns and walks 60m [S 10 N] solve for the displacement
You have transcribed the problem poorly. However, the result looks good to me.

What is displacement and why is it important to find it?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point. It is important to find displacement because it helps us understand the motion of an object and its final position.

What is the cosine law and how does it relate to finding displacement?

The cosine law is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side or angle in a triangle. It relates to finding displacement because displacement can be calculated using the cosine law when given the initial and final positions of an object.

How do you sketch a diagram to represent displacement?

To sketch a diagram for displacement, draw a straight line to represent the initial position of the object, then draw an arrow in the direction of the displacement to represent the final position. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the displacement.

What information is needed to solve for displacement using the cosine law?

To solve for displacement using the cosine law, you will need the length of two sides and the measure of the angle between them. This information can be obtained from a diagram or given in a problem statement.

Can the cosine law be used to find displacement in any situation?

Yes, the cosine law can be used to find displacement in any situation where the initial and final positions of an object are known, and the displacement can be represented as the third side of a triangle.