How to solve vector addition problems for physics?

In summary, the question is asking you to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector when adding three given vectors (A, B, and C) together in three different combinations. It is important to understand vector addition and the concept of negative vectors in order to solve this problem. Drawing a picture may also be helpful in visualizing the addition of these vectors.
desi_chick
1. For the vectors given in Fig. 3-32 (|A| = 64.0 and θ = 51.0°), determine the following. Find the magnitude and direction for each of the following : 1) A-B+C 2) A+B-C 3) C-A-B.
heres a diagram with it:
3_35alt.gif

2. The graph above should help, but I'm stuck on what to do

3. I basically set A= D1, B= D2 and C=D3. i found each vector component value: D1X=56.5, D1Y= 55.43 and so on for D2 and D3. i think I'm completely wrong since i don't understand what the question is asking for. i have a physics final on monday and I'm really lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you add three vectors, the result will be a vector. The question is asking you to find the magnitude and direction of this resultant vector (the sum) in three different cases (for three different ways of combining the three vectors).

I do not see how setting A = D1, B = D2, and C = D3 helps you in any way (other than changing the names of the vectors you are adding together).

Although you are right that adding the three vectors together component-wise is a good strategy, your x and y components of A do not look right. I would double check the calculations.

EDIT: Bear in mind that we can't see your attached picture yet. It takes time for the forum to approve the attachment.

EDIT: And by the way, welcome to PF!

oh I'm still pretty lost, like i just want to know what A-B+C means for example.

It's vector addition. A - B + C literally means vector A added to the negative of vector B added to vector C. If you have been taught in class how to add vectors (and you must have been), and you have been taught what the negative of a vector means, then you should be able to do the problem.

Now that I see the picture, I see that it might be easier to do the vector addition just by drawing a picture, rather than by calculating x and y components.

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the mathematical operation of combining two or more vectors to create a resulting vector. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vectors.

Why is vector addition important in physics?

Vector addition is important in physics because it allows us to accurately represent and analyze the motion and forces acting on an object. Many physical quantities, such as velocity and acceleration, are represented by vectors and require vector addition to calculate their resulting values.

How is vector addition performed?

Vector addition is performed by breaking down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components, adding the components separately, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector. The direction of the resulting vector can also be determined using trigonometric functions.

What are some real-life examples of vector addition in physics?

Some real-life examples of vector addition in physics include calculating the net force acting on an object, determining the resultant velocity of a moving object, and finding the direction and magnitude of wind forces on a sailboat.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when performing vector addition?

Some common mistakes to avoid when performing vector addition include forgetting to account for both magnitude and direction, using incorrect units, and not breaking down vectors into their components before adding them. It's also important to make sure that the vectors being added are in the same coordinate system.