1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition for physics, need help!

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    1. For the vectors given in Fig. 3-32 (|A| = 64.0 and θ = 51.0°), determine the following. Find the magnitude and direction for each of the following : 1) A-B+C 2) A+B-C 3) C-A-B.
    heres a diagram with it: 3_35alt.gif

2. The graph above should help, but i'm stuck on what to do

3. I basically set A= D1, B= D2 and C=D3. i found each vector component value: D1X=56.5, D1Y= 55.43 and so on for D2 and D3. i think i'm completely wrong since i don't understand what the question is asking for. i have a physics final on monday and i'm really lost!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you add three vectors, the result will be a vector. The question is asking you to find the magnitude and direction of this resultant vector (the sum) in three different cases (for three different ways of combining the three vectors).

I do not see how setting A = D1, B = D2, and C = D3 helps you in any way (other than changing the names of the vectors you are adding together).

Although you are right that adding the three vectors together component-wise is a good strategy, your x and y components of A do not look right. I would double check the calculations.

EDIT: Bear in mind that we can't see your attached picture yet. It takes time for the forum to approve the attachment.

EDIT: And by the way, welcome to PF!

4. Jul 12, 2009 #3
    oh i'm still pretty lost, like i just wanna know what A-B+C means for example.

5. Jul 12, 2009 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's vector addition. A - B + C literally means vector A added to the negative of vector B added to vector C. If you have been taught in class how to add vectors (and you must have been), and you have been taught what the negative of a vector means, then you should be able to do the problem.

Now that I see the picture, I see that it might be easier to do the vector addition just by drawing a picture, rather than by calculating x and y components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook