1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition help

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    I got a problem on a homework but the wording is kind of confusing and i dont know how to place it down on paper in a way that i can solve it...thanks for all the help..it looks basic, I find the Problem in weather its B+C=7i+5j or B+C=C being b+(7i+5j)=C

1: A vector, B, when added to the vector C=7i+5j yields a resultant vector which is in the positive y direction and has a magnitude equal to that of C. what is the magnitude of B?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    You know for sure that B = -7i + yj, how do you suppose you find what y should be? What is the magnitude of C? Do the two vectors look similar at all?

4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    So magnitude of (B + C) = sqrt(7^2+5^2)
    and the y component in A when added to C's y component has to be greater than 0.

5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    im gettin 7.9 on the value of B..is that correct?
    thanks for your help

6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    Oh, which vector is supposed to have the same magnitude as C? If vector B is supposed to have the same magnitude then it should be B = -5i + (what)j, but if the resultant vector, call it D, is supposed to have the same magnitude then you need B = -5i + (you find it)j. Your answer would not be right for either case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?