Vector Addition of Forces: Finding the Resultant Force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the AE resultant force in a given problem, using the concept of resolving forces and drawing a free body diagram. The question is in a test and is similar to a picture found online. The speaker is struggling with finding the AD component and wonders if parallelogram can be used to solve the problem.
Suy

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/918/79095797.png
Find AE resultant force

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start, I can find some of angle, but still I don't get it,
Also this question is in my test, I remember the question said AB exerted force on AE resultant force something
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming AD and AE are acting downwards (like a weight hanging).

So, firstly, resolve force AC into it's horizontal and vertical components.

You can show the component forces of AE and AD as well to make it easier.

Then, draw a free body diagram showing the direction each force is acting in.

From there, you should be able to resolve this system.

I tried to get all component for ABC, AB is already given 8N horizontal ,6.645 vertical
but still, it's doesn't help me to get AD
btw, this question is similar to this picture
http://session.masteringengineering.com/problemAsset/1162411/1/Probs.2-7_8.jpg
replace the black stick with blue part
also, I am in chapter 2.1-2.3, just click the link , you will see it
http://books.google.ca/books?id=JFuUEoT0iIUC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
I think I have to use parallelogram to do it?

1. What is vector addition of forces?

Vector addition of forces is a mathematical process used to determine the total force acting on an object when multiple forces are applied to it. This is done by adding together the individual forces using vector addition.

2. How do you add vectors in the context of forces?

In the context of forces, vectors can be added by using the head-to-tail method or by using the parallelogram method. The head-to-tail method involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector, and the resulting vector is drawn from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The parallelogram method involves drawing the two vectors as sides of a parallelogram, with the diagonal representing the resultant vector.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. In the context of forces, force is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (measured in Newtons) and direction (represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force).

4. Can vectors be added algebraically?

Yes, vectors can be added algebraically by breaking them down into their horizontal and vertical components and adding the components separately. The resulting vector can then be found using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

5. Why is vector addition important in physics?

Vector addition is important in physics because it helps us understand how multiple forces act on an object and how they affect its motion. By using vector addition, we can accurately calculate the net force acting on an object and predict its resulting motion.