1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition (please help, due tomorrow)

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Graphically add the following sets of vectors. (There is a group of 6 vectors labeled A-F. They have an assigned value and are at different angles, but the angle is not given)

2. Relevant equations
    None?

3. The attempt at a solution

So my problem here is this. The problem I need help with is adding 3 vectors. The first is A, which has a value of 3.0. Then B, which is also 3.0 but at a 90 degree angle. And the third is E, which is 5.0 and at a 45 degree angle.

I understand that you place them tip-to-tail and then add, but I'm not sure how to do it graphically? Do the angles play a role, or is my answer just 11? PLEASE HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    Is it wanting the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector of A + B + E?

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    It just says "Graphically add the following sets of vectors." I would think it would want the direction but I could be wrong.... But it doesn't give the angles (I had to use a protractor) and usually my book does if it wants direction.

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4
    Well, if it wants you to graphically add them you can simply put the tail of one vector on the head of another vector and repeat for the third vector. Then, draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. Since it only asks for the graphical addition I have to assume that's all it wants.

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your answer is definitely not 11.

A vector pointing North? A vector pointing East? And 1 pointing North East?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?