Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector addition (please help, due tomorrow)

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Graphically add the following sets of vectors. (There is a group of 6 vectors labeled A-F. They have an assigned value and are at different angles, but the angle is not given)

2. Relevant equations
    None?

3. The attempt at a solution

So my problem here is this. The problem I need help with is adding 3 vectors. The first is A, which has a value of 3.0. Then B, which is also 3.0 but at a 90 degree angle. And the third is E, which is 5.0 and at a 45 degree angle.

I understand that you place them tip-to-tail and then add, but I'm not sure how to do it graphically? Do the angles play a role, or is my answer just 11? PLEASE HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    Is it wanting the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector of A + B + E?

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    It just says "Graphically add the following sets of vectors." I would think it would want the direction but I could be wrong.... But it doesn't give the angles (I had to use a protractor) and usually my book does if it wants direction.

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4
    Well, if it wants you to graphically add them you can simply put the tail of one vector on the head of another vector and repeat for the third vector. Then, draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. Since it only asks for the graphical addition I have to assume that's all it wants.

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your answer is definitely not 11.

A vector pointing North? A vector pointing East? And 1 pointing North East?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook