How do I graphically add vectors with assigned values and angles?

In summary, the problem involves graphically adding three vectors (labeled A, B, and E) with assigned values and angles. The method for adding vectors is to place them tip-to-tail and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. The angles do play a role in determining the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. The answer is not simply 11, as it depends on the specific angles of the given vectors.
glindawantsme

Homework Statement

Graphically add the following sets of vectors. (There is a group of 6 vectors labeled A-F. They have an assigned value and are at different angles, but the angle is not given)

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

So my problem here is this. The problem I need help with is adding 3 vectors. The first is A, which has a value of 3.0. Then B, which is also 3.0 but at a 90 degree angle. And the third is E, which is 5.0 and at a 45 degree angle.

I understand that you place them tip-to-tail and then add, but I'm not sure how to do it graphically? Do the angles play a role, or is my answer just 11? PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it wanting the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector of A + B + E?

It just says "Graphically add the following sets of vectors." I would think it would want the direction but I could be wrong... But it doesn't give the angles (I had to use a protractor) and usually my book does if it wants direction.

Well, if it wants you to graphically add them you can simply put the tail of one vector on the head of another vector and repeat for the third vector. Then, draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. Since it only asks for the graphical addition I have to assume that's all it wants.

glindawantsme said:

Homework Statement

Graphically add the following sets of vectors. (There is a group of 6 vectors labeled A-F. They have an assigned value and are at different angles, but the angle is not given)

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

So my problem here is this. The problem I need help with is adding 3 vectors. The first is A, which has a value of 3.0. Then B, which is also 3.0 but at a 90 degree angle. And the third is E, which is 5.0 and at a 45 degree angle.

I understand that you place them tip-to-tail and then add, but I'm not sure how to do it graphically? Do the angles play a role, or is my answer just 11? PLEASE HELP!

Your answer is definitely not 11.

A vector pointing North? A vector pointing East? And 1 pointing North East?

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the mathematical operation of combining two or more vectors to create a new vector. It is represented by placing the vectors tip to tail and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector.

2. Why is vector addition important?

Vector addition is important because it allows us to model and analyze complex physical quantities, such as velocity and force, which have both magnitude and direction. It is also essential in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

3. How do you perform vector addition?

To perform vector addition, you must first identify the direction and magnitude of each vector. Then, place the vectors tip to tail and draw a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. The resulting vector will have a direction and magnitude that can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

4. What are some properties of vector addition?

Some properties of vector addition include commutativity, where the order of the vectors does not affect the result, and associativity, where the grouping of vectors does not affect the result. Vector addition also obeys the parallelogram law, where the diagonal of a parallelogram formed by two vectors is the resultant vector.

5. How is vector addition used in real life?

Vector addition is used in many real-life applications, including navigation, engineering, and sports. For example, in navigation, a ship's velocity can be determined by adding the vectors of wind speed and direction to the ship's speed and direction. In sports, vector addition is used to calculate the trajectory of a ball, taking into account factors such as wind speed and direction.