1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition problem

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    The Problem:
    A car is driven 175 km west and then 80 km southwest (45°). What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin (magnitude and direction)?

I have drawn myself a diagram, and I know you need to use the angles to help decide how much displacement, but I don't know how to use them.

It seems like whenever I get the distance of each vector I can just add those two and it will give me total displacement.

How can I use the distances 175 and 80 with the angles 0 deg. and 45 deg., respectively, to find the total displacement? Is there some sort of equation I'm missing?

Thanks in advance...

Wade

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If you describe your vectors as x and y components the components may be added together to determine your resultant.
    At that point let Pythagoras be your guide.

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3

I'm not sure I know what you mean? What is X and what is Y? and I still don't get where the angles fit in here...

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

They can be whatever you want. I would choose East and North. The only real requirement is that they be orthogonal.

6. Sep 29, 2008 #5
    ok well I did cos (45)= (x/80) and solved for x to get 42.026. then I added that to 175 to get 217.026 for the final x-component (km). Is this correct or close? My homework says it is wrong, but I can't see why?

7. Sep 29, 2008 #6
    nobody?

8. Sep 29, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What about the y component?

9. Sep 29, 2008 #8
    well I did sin(45)=(y/80), and got 56.569. This answer is also wrong according to the computer.

Can you or anyone please explain why?

10. Sep 29, 2008 #9
    bump...

11. Sep 29, 2008 #10
    anybody please... it's due in like 15 minutes...

12. Sep 29, 2008 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

OK you have now the X- component and the Y component use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the magnitude.

Then figure the angle from sin or cos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?