Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition problem

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to do my physics homework but I am just not understanding this section on vectors. I don't even know where to begin or what equations to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

a) On a rainy day, raindrops fall with a vertical velocity of 9.2 m/s. If a car drives through the rain at 84.0 km/hr, what is the magnitude of the velocity of the raindrops relative to the car?

b)At what angle are the raindrops falling relative to the car? Assume the direction the car is headed is 0° and down is 90°.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first step is to get both velocities in the same coordinates (km/hr or m/sec). You then have a right triangle with the two given velocities as the sides. The magnitude you want is the hypotenuse. The angle you want is the angle in the right triangle - I am not quite sure which one, but it is probably the one between the hypotenuse and the car direction.
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    just kidding. i figured it out!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?