1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition question

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If vector A + vector B = vector C and magnitude A + magnitude B = magnitude C how are vector A and B relative to each other.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I need help understanding this question. I know that in order for them to be equal they must be in the same direction. Also, does this mean that the vectors form a right angle to teach other in order for he magnitudes to be equal. Please help me, I'm so confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2
    Try to draw a diagram which shows that mag A + mag B = mag C.

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3
    Yes, you're right that since the magnitudes of A and B add up to C, then all three vectors must be in the same direction. Not quite sure what you mean by the vectors forming a right angle -- they'll just all be in the same direction. Knowing that, how would A and B line up to form C?

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4
    But what would be the relationship between the two vectors? How can I prove that they are equal?

6. Mar 5, 2014 #5
    But you don't know that A and B are equal -- only that they add up to C. I think the question just asks how A and B are oriented relative to each other.

7. Mar 5, 2014 #6
    So when drawing out the vector and magnitude diagrams, they both would look exactly alike?

8. Mar 5, 2014 #7
    But that would mean that A and B are equal in magnitude, which you don't know. Did you draw out the diagram? If you just draw A and B to have arbitrary lengths (so long as they add up to C), what else can you say about A and B in terms of orientation?

9. Mar 5, 2014 #8
    Im not sure. It comes out to be a triangle?

10. Mar 5, 2014 #9
    Usually that's what vector addition looks like, but is that the case for here? If A and B are sides of a triangle, and if C is the the other, longest side, then what happens when A and B add up to C?

11. Mar 5, 2014 #10
    a^2+b^2=c^2

12. Mar 5, 2014 #11
    If you could do some more explaining with words, that would help out -- that formula isn't really relevant here. Just talk about what you think will happen if two sides of a triangle add up to the third side. Try to draw a picture of it.

13. Mar 5, 2014 #12
    I think that A and B would add up to make the resultant vector C. That means A and B would be perpendicular to each other.

14. Mar 5, 2014 #13
    Not necessarily though. In that case A, B, and C would form a right triangle, but you also have to have |A| + |B| = |C| (|A| means magnitude of A), in which case a right triangle wouldn't work, since you can't add the legs of a right triangle to get the hypotenuse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted