Is There a Mistake in Calculating Vector Components and Angles?

In summary, vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to find the resulting magnitude and direction. To perform vector addition, the vectors must be of the same dimension and their corresponding components are added together. This process can be done graphically or algebraically. Scalar addition involves adding quantities with only magnitude, while vector addition involves adding quantities with both magnitude and direction. Vector addition has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. Vectors can also be subtracted by subtracting their corresponding components.
alingy1
There seems to be problem with the answer to this problem. Weirdly, they get that the x component of F1 is 3N!

Then, when they end up calculating the direction in C, they get 9.5°. I get 9.16°.

Am I the one going crazy? This is fairly straight-forward!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 11.08.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 11.08.21 AM.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 470
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 11.08.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 11.08.15 AM.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
From the 31 "they"calculate, I conclude that F1x is 7N in their calculations. (I get 31.4)
You and I get 9.16 degrees, perhaps "they" write it as 9 degrees 5 minutes ? (I 9° and 6')

Wouldn't worry too much about this, you're no crazier than I am!

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors together to create a new vector. It involves adding the corresponding components of the vectors in order to find the resulting magnitude and direction.

How do you perform vector addition?

To perform vector addition, you must first ensure that the vectors are of the same dimension. Then, add the corresponding components of the vectors together to find the resulting magnitude and direction. This can be done graphically or algebraically using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between scalar and vector addition?

Scalar addition involves adding two or more quantities that have only magnitude, such as numbers. Vector addition, on the other hand, involves adding two or more quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as vectors.

What are some real-life applications of vector addition?

Vector addition is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. Some examples of its applications include calculating the resultant force on an object, determining the displacement of an object, and finding the optimal route for navigation.

Can vectors be subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be subtracted from each other. This is done by subtracting the corresponding components of the vectors in order to find the resulting magnitude and direction. Similar to vector addition, this can be done graphically or algebraically using trigonometric functions.

Back