1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Addition

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Vector Addition

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the angle between two vector forces of equal magnitude, such that the resultant is one-third as much as either of the original forces.

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagorean Theorom, I assume

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is from Schaum's 3000 Problems in physics, page 7, # 1.35... I don't understand their explanantion thus I dont understand where to begin. Can someone give me a lead?

The answer is 160.8 degrees by the way...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    First off, lets state the Pythagorean Theorem as a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Cool.

Next since we are using that equation we know that the answer involved has a right angle it it somewhere.

Draw a picture of a right triangle then make it into a rectangle. Draw a line from corner to corner and going threw the other side(the size where the first right angle was)
    [​IMG]

Then play around with the numbers and angles and see if you can come up with the same answer. I hope this helps you out a little bit! Although I am not exactly sure on how to solve it myself.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    I don't have a program that can do any of that stuff?(like the diagram you just did)

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Dont you have pen and paper? I did that on my paper before I made it with photoshop o_O

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    I've figured it out :D Thanks. I simply formed a parallelogram and was able to get the answer.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    No prob, Glad you got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?