Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector Addition

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Vector Addition

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the angle between two vector forces of equal magnitude, such that the resultant is one-third as much as either of the original forces.

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagorean Theorom, I assume

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is from Schaum's 3000 Problems in physics, page 7, # 1.35... I don't understand their explanantion thus I dont understand where to begin. Can someone give me a lead?

The answer is 160.8 degrees by the way...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    First off, lets state the Pythagorean Theorem as a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Cool.

Next since we are using that equation we know that the answer involved has a right angle it it somewhere.

Draw a picture of a right triangle then make it into a rectangle. Draw a line from corner to corner and going threw the other side(the size where the first right angle was)
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3530/pythaghelpvw8.png [Broken]

Then play around with the numbers and angles and see if you can come up with the same answer. I hope this helps you out a little bit! Although I am not exactly sure on how to solve it myself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    I don't have a program that can do any of that stuff?(like the diagram you just did)

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Dont you have pen and paper? I did that on my paper before I made it with photoshop o_O

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    I've figured it out :D Thanks. I simply formed a parallelogram and was able to get the answer.

7. Mar 4, 2008 #6
    No prob, Glad you got it!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook