Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector addition

1. Aug 26, 2004 #1
    In class today we had a brief lesson on vector addition. I understand how to calculate the resultant when given a magnitude and angle measurent for each vector, but my teacher gave me no other examples. I have tons of homework problems that do not give me this information, but I am expected to solve. Can you please give me a brief overview of how to solve a vector addition problem without having angle measurements.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!
    Are you given visual information as to how the vectors you're supposed to add looks like?
    In particular, are you supposed to draw how the sum of the two vectors look like?

Or:
    Have you been given the vectors in the symbolic form:
    Vector 1: (a,b) Vector 2 (c,d) where a,b,c,d are numbers?

4. Aug 26, 2004 #3

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A vector is basically a right triangle, you hook one triangle on to the end of the other one to add them. Perhaps your teacher, instead of giving you the adjacent angle and hypotenus, gave you two other bits of information?

5. Aug 26, 2004 #4
    Vector Addition: If you have vector V(a,b,c), and vector B(d,e,f). V + B = (a+d,b+e,c+f)

Vector Subtraction: If you have vector V(a,b,c), and vector B(d,e,f). V - B = (a-d,b-e,c-f)

Dot Product:
    V dot B = a*d+b*e+c*f

6. Aug 26, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What information ARE you given?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?