1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Addition

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    A woman walks 143m in the direction 55° east of north, then 178m directly east. Find the magnitude of the displacement vector.

Answer: 306m

Relevant equations:
    I will use vA as a shorthand to represent vector A and ||vA|| to represent the magnitude.

Ax = ||vA||cos(theta)
    Ay = ||vA||sin(theta)
    ||vA|| = sqrt(Ax^2 + Ay^2)

--------------------------------

Since I know the magnitude of vA (assuming vA is the starting vector) and the angle in which she left the origin of the coordinate grid I can use the two equations stated above to find the values of Ax and Ay.

Ax = 143m*cos(55) = 82.02m
    Ay = 143m*sin(55) = 117.14m

Now I add vA + vB (<82.02m, 117.14m> + <178m, 0m>) to obtain vC, the vector displacement between her starting position to her final position. However, when I go and find the magnitude of the vector I always come out with the wrong answer, 285.19m.

vC = <260.02m, 117.14m>
    ||vC|| = sqrt(260.02m^2 + 117.14m^2) = sqrt(81332.18m^2) = 285.19m.

What did I do wrong? I thought this would be a simple problem but I keep coming out with the wrong answer. Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2
    The problem is that you're angle is wrong. Try drawing a small graph with the angle starting from the positive y-axis (north) and going towards the x-axis (east). You see that the 55° angle is made with the y-axis, and not the x-axis.

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3
    Yes the angle is wrong. Since they say east of north (which I personally think is a stupid way to say) they mean 90-55=35 degrees. The rest is correct.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook