Vector Addition Homework: Find F2 Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the second force is 18.4 N in the -x and -y direction, directed towards the bottom left of the box.
netrunnr

Homework Statement

There are two forces on the 3.2 kg box in the overhead view of the figure below but only one is shown. The figure also shows the acceleration of the box. F1 is in Q I and F2 is in Q III
a = 12m/s2

there is a picture here that I do not know how to upload -- it shows F1 in the +x direction ( 0º ) and F2 in Q III in the -x and -y direction at 30º from the y-axis in the SW direction
then below that it gives the a=12m/s2

I am not sure if that means a=12m/s2 for F2 or if that is for the fnet = ma where that is a...
(a) Find the second force in unit-vector notation.
(b) Find the second force as a magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = ma
so Fnet = 3.2kg * 12m/s2 = 38.4N
F2 = 38.4N - F1 = 38N - 20N = 18.4

F2=ma - F1 = [3.2kg * 12m/s2]-20N = 18.4N
F2x = 18 cos 240º = -9i
F2y = 18 sin 240º = -15.59i
I am supposed to be getting -39.2iand -33.3j for F2 for part A and 51.4N (-140)º for part b. if they gave me ø how am I supposed to get -140º for ø? I am very confused with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
netrunnr said:

Homework Statement

There are two forces on the 3.2 kg box in the overhead view of the figure below but only one is shown. The figure also shows the acceleration of the box. F1 is in Q I and F2 is in Q III
a = 12m/s2

there is a picture here that I do not know how to upload -- it shows F1 in the +x direction ( 0º ) and F2 in Q III in the -x and -y direction at 30º from the y-axis in the SW direction
then below that it gives the a=12m/s2

I am not sure if that means a=12m/s2 for F2 or if that is for the fnet = ma where that is a...

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = ma
so Fnet = 3.2kg * 12m/s2 = 38.4N
F2 = 38.4N - F1 = 38N - 20N = 18.4

F2=ma - F1 = [3.2kg * 12m/s2]-20N = 18.4N
F2x = 18 cos 240º = -9i
F2y = 18 sin 240º = -15.59i

I am supposed to be getting -39.2iand -33.3j for F2 for part A and 51.4N (-140)º for part b. if they gave me ø how am I supposed to get -140º for ø? I am very confused with this question.

To get a picture of what is going on, try the following.

You have calculated that the net Force is 38.4 N, so draw a circle of Radius 38.4 on your axes [ you might need bigger axes, or don't draw the 20 Force so long ]

Since you are adding F1 and F2 - done by connecting the vectors head to tail, translate your F2 so that is begins at the end of F1.
It has to be long enough to reach a point on the circle.

That will show you what size F2 is, and hopefully your Pythagoras and trig skills are up to solving it.
You might even end up solving some simultaneous equations.

if I that I get the law of sins for 20N/ø =r/150º
I still have two unknowns here :(

netrunnr said:
if I that I get the law of sins for 20N/ø =r/150º
I still have two unknowns here :(

You could find the equation of the straight line that has F2 as part of it (referring to the x-y axes you have overlaying your vectors I think it will be something like y = √3x - 20√3
You know the equation of the circle is x2 + y2 = (38.4)2

Solve those two simultaneously and you have the end of the F2 vector. The resultant force is thus from (0,0) to there.

NOTE: being a quadratic equation there will be two points of intersection, but by looking at your diagram you will be able to recognise which one if the correct one.

I would like to provide some clarification and guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, the given information is incomplete as it does not specify the magnitudes of the forces F1 and F2. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately solve for F2 using the given information.

Secondly, the acceleration of the box (a=12m/s2) is not relevant to finding the magnitude and direction of F2. It is only used to determine the net force acting on the box, which is not necessary for solving this problem.

Thirdly, the unit-vector notation for F2 would be [F2x, F2y] instead of just F2.

To solve for F2, we need to use vector addition and trigonometry.

(a) To find F2 in unit-vector notation, we need to determine the x and y components of F2.

F2x = F2 cos 30º (since the angle between F2 and the x-axis is 30º)
F2y = -F2 sin 30º (since the angle between F2 and the y-axis is 30º in the SW direction, which is equivalent to -30º)

(b) To find the magnitude and direction of F2, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse trigonometric functions.

Magnitude:
|F2| = √(F2x² + F2y²)

Direction:
F2θ = tan⁻¹(F2y/F2x)

Note: The direction, F2θ, will be in the range of -90º to 90º, so we need to adjust for the actual direction of F2 by considering the quadrant in which it lies. Since F2 is in QIII (negative x and y), the actual direction of F2 will be in the range of -180º to -90º.

In conclusion, without knowing the magnitudes of F1 and F2, it is not possible to accurately solve for F2. Additionally, the given information does not specify the direction of F1, which is needed to solve for F2. I would recommend double-checking the given information and seeking clarification from the source before attempting to solve this problem.

1. What is vector addition and why is it important?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors together to find their resultant vector. It is important in physics and engineering because it allows us to determine the overall direction and magnitude of a system of vectors, which can help us solve problems related to motion and force.

2. How do I find the magnitude of F2 in vector addition?

To find the magnitude of F2, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the x-component of F2 and the y-component of F2. Then, add these two values together and take the square root to find the magnitude of F2.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction in vector addition?

The magnitude of a vector represents its size or length, while the direction represents the angle or orientation of the vector. In vector addition, we need to find both the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve vector addition problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve vector addition problems. Many scientific calculators have built-in functions for vector addition, and there are also online calculators available. However, it is important to understand the concept of vector addition and how to manually calculate the magnitude and direction to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I check if my solution for vector addition is correct?

One way to check if your solution for vector addition is correct is to use the parallelogram method. Draw the two vectors on a graph and use the parallelogram method to construct the resultant vector. If your solution is correct, the resultant vector should have the same magnitude and direction as your calculated values.