How Does Wind Affect an Airplane's Flight Path and Speed?

In summary, an airplane flying at 600km/h on a bearing of W38N with a wind of 75km/h from W25S will result in a resultant velocity of 569.877km/h and a direction of N45.26W.
Stanc

Homework Statement

An airplane flies at 600km/h on a bearing of W38N while a wind of 75km/h from W25S is present.
Find the planes resultant velocity and direction

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I did:

The Airplane: x = 600cos142 = -472.8
y = 600sin142 = 369.39

The Wind: x = 75cos25 = 67.973
y = 75sin25 = 31.69

Sum of x: -472.8 + 67.973 = -404.827
Sum of y: 360.30 + 31.69 = 401.09

Resultant would be using pythagorean theorem:

this gives me 569.877

and the angle would be theta = tan1- (401/-494.877) = -44.734 degreesI think what I did is right (please correct if I am wrong) but I was wondering about my angle. The angle is not below the horizontal right? I just don't understand why its negative. If i were to change it to bearing form would i do... 90-44.734 = 45.26 degrees therefore on a bearing of N45.26W? Please clarify the solution I have found

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your numbers, but the method is correct. The angle is negative because the arctangent returns a value between [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. You have to look at the signs of x and y to find the actual angle.

1. What is a vector airplane?

A vector airplane is an aircraft that uses vector thrust technology, which allows for vertical takeoff and landing, as well as hovering capabilities. This technology is commonly used in military and commercial transport aircraft.

2. How does vector thrust work in airplanes?

Vector thrust works by redirecting the engine's exhaust gases to provide additional thrust in a specific direction. This is typically achieved through the use of movable nozzles or vanes.

3. What are the advantages of vector thrust in airplanes?

The main advantage of vector thrust in airplanes is its ability to provide vertical takeoff and landing capabilities, which allows for more flexibility in landing and takeoff locations. It also allows for hovering, which can be useful for precise positioning or during low-speed maneuvers.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using vector thrust in airplanes?

One of the main disadvantages of vector thrust in airplanes is the added complexity and weight of the system, which can increase maintenance and production costs. It also requires specialized training for pilots to operate the aircraft effectively.

5. How is vector thrust technology being used in modern airplanes?

Vector thrust technology is commonly used in military transport aircraft, such as the Boeing V-22 Osprey, as well as commercial transport aircraft, such as the Airbus A400M. It is also being researched and developed for use in future supersonic and hypersonic aircraft.