Proving the Planarity of a Quadrilateral using Vector Algebra

In summary, the given problem involves proving a mathematical identity involving non-zero vectors $\vec{a}, \vec{b}, \vec{c}$, and $\vec{d}$. The first part of the problem requires showing that two expressions, involving the dot product and cross product of these vectors, are equal. This can be achieved by using Lagrange's formula and the fact that the cross product is anti-commutative. For the second part, a condition for a quadrilateral to be planar is used in the form of a dot product of three vectors being equal to zero. By manipulating this condition and using the result from the first part, the desired identity can be proved.
Saitama
Problem:
Consider the non zero vectors $\vec{a}$, $\vec{b}$, $\vec{c}$ and $\vec{d}$ such that no three of which are coplanar then prove that $\vec{a}\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]+\vec{c}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{d}\right]=\vec{b}\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]+\vec{d}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{c}\right]$. Hence prove that if $\vec{a}$, $\vec{b}$, $\vec{c}$ and $\vec{d}$ represent the position vectors of the vertices of a plane quadrilateral then
$$\frac{\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{d}\right]+\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]}{\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{c}\right]+\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]}=1$$

Attempt:
I am stuck at the first part of the problem. Looking at the two sides, it seems to me that I somehow need to show $\vec{a}\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]$ is same as $\vec{b}\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]$. Since
$$\vec{a}\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]=\vec{a}\left(\vec{b}\cdot \left(\vec{c}\times \vec{d}\right)\right)$$
and
$$\vec{b}\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]=\vec{b} \left(\vec{a}\cdot \left(\vec{c}\times \vec{d}\right)\right)$$
It looks like I need to swap $\vec{a}$ and $\vec{b}$ but that is not a valid step. I don't know how to proceed with the problem. :(

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use Lagrange's formula to expand $(\vec a \times\vec b)\times (\vec c\times \vec d) = -(\vec c\times \vec d)\times (\vec a \times\vec b).$

Opalg said:
Hint: Use Lagrange's formula to expand $(\vec a \times\vec b)\times (\vec c\times \vec d) = -(\vec c\times \vec d)\times (\vec a \times\vec b).$

Hi Opalg! :)

Let $(\vec a \times\vec b)=\vec{u}$. Then from the Lagrange's formula, I have:
$$\vec{u}\times (\vec{c}\times \vec{d})=\vec{c}(\vec{u}\cdot \vec{d})-\vec{d}(\vec{u}\cdot \vec{c})=\vec{c}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{d}\right]-\vec{d}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{c}\right]$$
Similarly, I have:
$$(\vec c\times \vec d)\times (\vec a \times\vec b)=\vec{a}\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]-\vec{b}\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]$$
Since $(\vec a \times\vec b)\times (\vec c\times \vec d) = -(\vec c\times \vec d)\times (\vec a \times\vec b)$, I get:
$$\vec{c}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{d}\right]-\vec{d}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{c}\right]=-\vec{a}\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]+\vec{b}\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]$$
$$\Rightarrow \vec{a}\left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]+\vec{c}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{d}\right]=\vec{b}\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]+\vec{d}\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{c}\right]$$
which proves the first part.

How to proceed with the second one? :confused:

Pranav said:
How to proceed with the second one? :confused:
I was hoping you wouldn't ask that, because I am not sure of the answer. (Thinking)

The condition for a quadrilateral to be planar is that its diagonals should intersect. In terms of the given vectors, this means that there should exist scalars $\lambda,\mu$ such that $\lambda\vec a + (1-\lambda)\vec c = \mu\vec b + (1-\mu)\vec d$. The first part of the problem says that there is some linear combination of $\vec a$ and $\vec c$ that is equal to some linear combination of $\vec b$ and $\vec d$. There must be some way of relating those two pieces of information. (Wondering)

Opalg said:
I was hoping you wouldn't ask that, because I am not sure of the answer. (Thinking)

The condition for a quadrilateral to be planar is that its diagonals should intersect. In terms of the given vectors, this means that there should exist scalars $\lambda,\mu$ such that $\lambda\vec a + (1-\lambda)\vec c = \mu\vec b + (1-\mu)\vec d$. The first part of the problem says that there is some linear combination of $\vec a$ and $\vec c$ that is equal to some linear combination of $\vec b$ and $\vec d$. There must be some way of relating those two pieces of information. (Wondering)

Ah but many thanks for the help you provided so far. :)

I figured out the second part but I couldn't use any of the result from the first part. (Thinking)

Here is what I did:

Since the vectors form a plane quadrilateral, the vectors $\vec{b}-\vec{a}$, $\vec{c}-\vec{a}$ and $\vec{d}-\vec{a}$ must be coplanar, hence I have the condition:

$$\left[\vec{b}-\vec{a}\,\,\, \vec{c}-\vec{a}\,\,\, \vec{d}-\vec{a}\right]=0$$
$$\Rightarrow (\vec{b}-\vec{a})\cdot ((\vec{c}-\vec{a})\times (\vec{d}-\vec{a}))=0$$
$$\Rightarrow (\vec{b}-\vec{a})\cdot (\vec{c}\times \vec{d} +\vec{a}\times \vec{c}+\vec{d} \times \vec{a})=0$$
$$\Rightarrow \left[\vec{b} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]+\left[\vec{b} \vec{a} \vec{c}\right]+\left[\vec{b} \vec{d} \vec{a}\right]-\left[\vec{a} \vec{c} \vec{d}\right]=0$$
I can write $\left[\vec{b} \vec{d} \vec{a}\right]$ as $\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{d}\right]$ and $\left[\vec{b} \vec{a} \vec{c}\right]$ as $-\left[\vec{a} \vec{b} \vec{c}\right]$. From here, second part can proved now.

Thanks again! :)

1. What is a vector algebra problem?

A vector algebra problem is a mathematical question that involves manipulating vectors using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction and can be represented by arrows in a coordinate system.

2. How do I solve a vector algebra problem?

To solve a vector algebra problem, you need to first understand the properties of vectors and how to perform basic algebraic operations on them. You can then use these operations to manipulate the given vectors and find the resulting vector.

3. What are the key concepts in vector algebra?

The key concepts in vector algebra include vector addition, vector subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product. These concepts are essential for solving vector algebra problems and understanding the properties of vectors.

4. Can you provide an example of a vector algebra problem?

Sure, an example of a vector algebra problem is: Given two vectors A = (3, 2) and B = (1, -4), find the resulting vector when A is multiplied by a scalar value of 2 and then added to vector B. The solution would be (7, -6).

5. How is vector algebra used in real life?

Vector algebra is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to represent and manipulate physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is also used in navigation systems, flight paths, and 3D modeling to calculate distances, angles, and velocities.