1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector analysis 2

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the sum formulas for cosine and sine using vector methods.

2. Relevant equations

Suggestion: use the following vectors

A= cos xi + sin xj
    B= cos yi + sin yj
    C= cos yi - sin yj

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually solved the question by doing the dot product of A and B and finding the cosAB = cos (x-y). Then, I changed y to -y and obtained the other formula concerning the sum of cosines. The same thing was done with the cross product of A and B in order to obtain the formulas for sum and subtraction of sines. I am not completely satisfied with this solution, since the author gives the suggestion to use a vector C. I tried doing the dot product of A and C in order to obtain cos (x+y), but it did not work out since the length of vector C is cos(2y). Same thing happened when I did their cross product to obtain sin (x+y). I am thinking I am making some kind of geometrical mistake, but I have not found what would that be. Can anyone help me on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Changing y to -y in B is the same thing as using C instead of B
  4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    I found now what was the problem (I made a mistake while calculating the module of C). Thank you very muchl
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook