Vector Analysis 2: Sum Formulas for Cosine & Sine

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum formulas for cosine and sine using vector methods. The suggested vectors, A, B, and C are used to solve the question by calculating the dot product and cross product. The solution involves changing y to -y and using C instead of B. There was initially a mistake in calculating the module of C, but it was resolved.
rafaelpol

Homework Statement

Find the sum formulas for cosine and sine using vector methods.

Homework Equations

Suggestion: use the following vectors

A= cos xi + sin xj
B= cos yi + sin yj
C= cos yi - sin yj

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually solved the question by doing the dot product of A and B and finding the cosAB = cos (x-y). Then, I changed y to -y and obtained the other formula concerning the sum of cosines. The same thing was done with the cross product of A and B in order to obtain the formulas for sum and subtraction of sines. I am not completely satisfied with this solution, since the author gives the suggestion to use a vector C. I tried doing the dot product of A and C in order to obtain cos (x+y), but it did not work out since the length of vector C is cos(2y). Same thing happened when I did their cross product to obtain sin (x+y). I am thinking I am making some kind of geometrical mistake, but I have not found what would that be. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Changing y to -y in B is the same thing as using C instead of B

I found now what was the problem (I made a mistake while calculating the module of C). Thank you very muchl

What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving quantities that have both size and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the sum formulas for cosine and sine?

The sum formula for cosine is cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b), and the sum formula for sine is sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). These formulas can be used to find the cosine and sine of the sum of two angles, given the cosine and sine of each individual angle.

How are these sum formulas derived?

The sum formulas for cosine and sine are derived from the trigonometric identities, specifically the identity cos(a+b) = cos(a)cos(b) - sin(a)sin(b) and sin(a+b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b). These identities can be derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the definitions of cosine and sine in terms of the unit circle.

What is the significance of these sum formulas?

The sum formulas for cosine and sine are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and geometry. They allow us to simplify and solve complex problems involving vectors, and are used in a variety of applications such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or analyzing the motion of a pendulum.

How can I apply these sum formulas in real life?

The sum formulas for cosine and sine can be applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as calculating the forces acting on an object, determining the direction and magnitude of a moving object, or analyzing the motion of waves. They are also used in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and surveying.