Expressing an Arbitrary Vector in Terms of Noncoplanar Vectors

In summary, the conversation discussed proving that an arbitrary vector V can be expressed in terms of three noncoplanar vectors, A, B, and C. The formula given was V = [V,B,C]A/[A,B,C] + [V,C,A]B/[A,B,C] + [V,A,B]C/[A,B,C]. The hint provided was to use the scalar product of V with BxC to find the coefficient a in the formula. By simplifying the triple product [V,B,C], it was discovered that it is equal to a*[A,B,C]. This, along with the other two terms, can be used to express V in terms of A, B, and C.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

Show that an arbitrary vector V can be expressed in terms of any three noncoplanar vectors, A, B, C, according to:

V = [V,B,C]A/[A,B,C] + [V,C,A]B/[A,B,C] + [V,A,B]C/[A,B,C]

Homework Equations

A Hint is given:
We know that V can be expressed as aA + bB +cC; to find a, take the scalar product of V with BxC

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this one by relating the projections of V to 3 arbitrary vectors, A, B, C, but I couldn't get to the answer above. I'm also not sure how the hint will help me either. Could someone please help me get started on this because I am all out of ideas.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming [V,B,C] is the triple product V.(BxC), right? Then what is [V,B,C]? It's (aA+bB+cC).(BxC). BxC is perpendicular to B and C, so those parts of the dot product are zero. This leaves you with [V,B,C]=aA.(BxC)=a*[A,B,C]. Put that into your formula and treat the other two terms the same way.

Wow, so the hint gave it away -- i can't believe i didn't see that. Thanks a lot for the help though!

1. What is vector analysis and why is it important in science?

Vector analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze and manipulate vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is important in science because many physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, can be represented as vectors. By using vector analysis, scientists can accurately describe and understand complex systems and phenomena.

2. How do you perform basic operations on vectors?

Basic operations on vectors include addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar. Addition and subtraction of vectors involve combining their magnitudes and directions, while multiplication by a scalar involves scaling the magnitude of the vector. These operations can be performed using mathematical formulas or graphical methods.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in the design of structures and machines, the analysis of motion and forces, and the creation of computer-generated images. It is also used in navigation, weather forecasting, and the study of fluid dynamics.

4. What are some common challenges when working with vector analysis?

One of the main challenges when working with vector analysis is visualizing and understanding complex vector operations in three dimensions. It can also be difficult to accurately represent and measure vectors in real-world scenarios. Additionally, errors can occur when working with vector quantities that are not in the same coordinate system.

5. How can I improve my skills in vector analysis?

Practicing and familiarizing yourself with the mathematical formulas and graphical methods used in vector analysis can help improve your skills. It is also important to understand the fundamentals of vector operations and their applications in various fields. There are also online resources and textbooks available that provide examples and practice problems for further improvement.