Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector analysis

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    something for a mathematician that likes physics or a physicist that likes math. rigorous but with pictures and examples and the such?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
  5. Nov 4, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like them both...especially the Bamberg&Sternberg one.

6. Nov 5, 2007 #5
    I would take terrible reviews on Amazon.com with a grain of salt. Many of those reviews are by lazy, underprepared, or unprepared students who are looking to vent their frustrations with a book that they were not willing, ready or able to tackle. If none of those suggestions appeal to you, some standard textbooks for a second course in vector calculus / calculus on manifolds include Spivak, Calculus on Manifolds; Munkres, Analysis on Manifolds; C. H. Edwards, Advanced Calculus of Several Variables; and H. M. Edwards, Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach. Of those, the last book by H. M. Edwards is probably the closest to what you're looking for. But I would warn you that, since you cannot identify that vector analysis is the same as vector calculus or that it would likely be covered fairly extensively in a math methods book, you may not be adequately prepared to tackle any of these books.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might like
    http://www1.mengr.tamu.edu/rbowen/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. Nov 5, 2007 #7
    Bowen's book posted by robphy is really good, if you're willing to deal with ugly typesetting and some typos. Edwards' book on advanced calculus with differential forms is a current project of mine, so I'll let you know how it goes. A more typical book on vector analysis though,is Marsden & Tromba's Vector Calculus. EDIT: which I just realized has already been posted. Sorry.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: If you'd like to learn about differential forms, here's a paper on the arXiv which was turned into a book: A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook