1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector analysis

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    something for a mathematician that likes physics or a physicist that likes math. rigorous but with pictures and examples and the such?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
  5. Nov 4, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like them both...especially the Bamberg&Sternberg one.

6. Nov 5, 2007 #5
    I would take terrible reviews on Amazon.com with a grain of salt. Many of those reviews are by lazy, underprepared, or unprepared students who are looking to vent their frustrations with a book that they were not willing, ready or able to tackle. If none of those suggestions appeal to you, some standard textbooks for a second course in vector calculus / calculus on manifolds include Spivak, Calculus on Manifolds; Munkres, Analysis on Manifolds; C. H. Edwards, Advanced Calculus of Several Variables; and H. M. Edwards, Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach. Of those, the last book by H. M. Edwards is probably the closest to what you're looking for. But I would warn you that, since you cannot identify that vector analysis is the same as vector calculus or that it would likely be covered fairly extensively in a math methods book, you may not be adequately prepared to tackle any of these books.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Nov 5, 2007 #7
    Bowen's book posted by robphy is really good, if you're willing to deal with ugly typesetting and some typos. Edwards' book on advanced calculus with differential forms is a current project of mine, so I'll let you know how it goes. A more typical book on vector analysis though,is Marsden & Tromba's Vector Calculus. EDIT: which I just realized has already been posted. Sorry.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: If you'd like to learn about differential forms, here's a paper on the arXiv which was turned into a book: A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?