Verifying U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis

In summary: However, I believe it's not necessary to completely solve the problem.In summary, the notation del(R) is used to represent the gradient vector of a vector field R, and when taking the dot product of this object with another vector, the order matters and can be represented using matrix multiplication. In the specific case of the given problem, the answer is the vector U.
rafaelpol

Homework Statement

Verification of the product U . del (R) = U

Vectors are written in bold

Homework Equations

R = ix + jy + kz

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot understand what is going on. If del R is the gradient vector of R, then the problem will be scalar product, whose answer is Ux + Uy + Uz, not a vector as it is written on the book. And if del R is the scalar product of del and R, then the answer is going to be a vector, but it will be 3U not only U.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since R is a vector, you can't take the gradient of it. Other than that I agree with your analysis

"del(R)" does not appear to me to be standard notation. Go back to the textbook or other source of this problem to determine what it means.

That is exactly the problem. After solving other exercises of the book I found that this is really a notation issue. In order to obtain the correct answer one has to do the dot product of vector U and del, and then operate with the resultant operator in the vector R. The answer is going to be vector U. Anyway, thank you very much for the answers.

Just ignore this if it's too much information; obviously it's not necessary to solve the question...

The notation del(R), where R is a vector field, is used in Davis/Snider: Introduction to Vector Analysis for a second order tensor or dyadic, thus in Cartesian coordinates:

[tex]\nabla \textbf{R}=[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial R_1}{\partial x}\hat{\textbf{i}}\hat{\textbf{i}}+\frac{\partial R_1}{\partial y}\hat{\textbf{j}}\hat{\textbf{i}}+\frac{\partial R_1}{\partial z}\hat{\textbf{k}}\hat{\textbf{i}}[/tex]

[tex]+\frac{\partial R_2}{\partial x}\hat{\textbf{i}}\hat{\textbf{j}}+\frac{\partial R_2}{\partial y}\hat{\textbf{j}}\hat{\textbf{j}}+\frac{\partial R_2}{\partial z}\hat{\textbf{k}}\hat{\textbf{j}}[/tex]

[tex]+\frac{\partial R_3}{\partial x}\hat{\textbf{i}}\hat{\textbf{k}}+\frac{\partial R_3}{\partial y}\hat{\textbf{j}}\hat{\textbf{k}}+\frac{\partial R_3}{\partial z}\hat{\textbf{k}}\hat{\textbf{k}}[/tex]

which we can write more briefly, using summation signs,

[tex]\nabla \textbf{R}=\sum_{p=1}^{n}\sum_{q=1}^{n}\frac{\partial R_p}{\partial x_q} \hat{\textbf{i}}_q \hat{\textbf{i}}_p[/tex]

where x1=x, x2=y, x3=z, and i1=i, i2=j, i1=k.

The dot product of such an object with a vector is another vector, and this operation is, in general, not commutative; that is, the order matters. It's defined as follows:

[tex]\textbf{A}\textbf{B} \cdot \textbf{C} \equiv \textbf{A}(\textbf{B} \cdot \textbf{C})[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{C} \cdot \textbf{A}\textbf{B} \equiv (\textbf{C} \cdot \textbf{A}) \textbf{B}[/tex]

Another notation, not used by Davis & Snider, is

[tex]\textbf{A}\textbf{B} \equiv \textbf{A} \otimes \textbf{B}[/tex]

Combining a pair of vectors to form a dyadic is a special case of the tensor product operation; the dyadic AB is the tensor product of A and B. If the vectors have n components, a tensor product of two of them will have n2 components. It can be convenient to represent these as an nxn matrix, then the dot product and tensor product can be treated as matrix multiplication of components:

[tex]\textbf{A}\cdot \textbf{B}=A^TB \enspace\enspace\enspace \textbf{A}\textbf{B}=AB^T[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{C} \cdot \textbf{A}\textbf{B}=C^TAB^T \enspace\enspace\enspace \textbf{A}\textbf{B} \cdot \textbf{C}=AB^TC[/tex]

From the above definitions, considering your example from this point of view gives the same answer:

[tex](\textbf{U} \cdot \nabla) \textbf{R} = \textbf{U} \cdot (\nabla \textbf{R})[/tex]

The ith component of this vector is

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}U_k \frac{\partial R_i}{\partial x_k}[/tex]

and in your example, all the partial derivatives in this equation come to 1, so resulting vector is equal to U.

More generally, I've seen del(T) used to mean the gradient of a tensor, T, of any order, the object which when dotted with a unit vector gives the directional derivative in along the direction indicated by the vector.

Thank you very much for the extra information (tensors are the next topic of my course).

1. What is "Verifying U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis" and why is it important in science?

"Verifying U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis" is a mathematical equation that relates the potential energy (U) of a system to its position in space (R). This equation is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as particles in motion or molecules in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you verify U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis?

To verify U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis, you would first need to understand the components of this equation. U represents the potential energy, del (or ∇) is the gradient operator, and R is the position vector. You would then need to apply vector calculus techniques to manipulate and solve the equation. This may involve taking derivatives, integrating, and simplifying the equation to show that both sides are equal.

3. What are some real-world applications of U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis?

U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis has many applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to model and predict the behavior of physical systems in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic simulations of movement and motion.

4. Can U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis be applied to any type of system?

Yes, U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis can be applied to any system where potential energy is a function of position. This includes systems with multiple particles, continuous systems, and even abstract systems like fields or potentials. However, the specific form and application of the equation may vary depending on the system being studied.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis?

Like any mathematical model, there are some limitations and assumptions in U.del(R)=U: Vector Analysis. One limitation is that it only applies to systems where potential energy is a function of position and does not take into account other factors such as time or velocity. Additionally, the equation assumes that the system is in equilibrium, meaning that the energy of the system remains constant. In reality, most systems are constantly changing and may not be in equilibrium at all times.