1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and Axial vector currents

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to show that the vector current [tex] \vec{V}^\mu = \overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu \vec{T} \psi [/tex] and the vector axial current [tex] \vec{A}^\mu = \overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu \gamma_5\vec{T} \psi [/tex] satisfy this

[tex]
    \partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu = i\overline{\psi}[M,\vec{T}] \psi

[/tex]

[tex]
    \partial_\mu \vec{A}^\mu = i\overline{\psi}\{M,\vec{T}\}\gamma_5 \psi
    [/tex]

The brackets are commutators and the braces are anticommutators
    2. Relevant equations
    Dirac's equation for [tex] \psi [/tex] and [tex]\overline{\psi} [/tex]. Also, M is a mass matrix because [tex] \psi [/tex] is extended to a vector in flavor space and M is a diagonal matrix (entries are the quark masses). T are the pauli matrices divided by 2 and we are working only with two flavors. The column vector [tex] \psi [/tex] contains two entries then, and each of these are a 4-component Dirac spinor.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using Dirac's equations:
    [tex]
    \overline{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu\stackrel{\leftarrow}{\partial_\mu} + M) &=& 0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \partial_\mu\overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu &=& i\overline{\psi}M
    [/tex]

[tex]
    (i\gamma^\mu{\partial_\mu} + M)\psi &=& 0

[/tex]
    [tex]
    \gamma^\mu\partial_\mu{\psi} &=& -iM{\psi}

[/tex]
    when we replace it in the gradient [tex]\partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu [/tex]

[tex]
    \partial_\mu \vec{V}^\mu = \partial_\mu\overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu \vec{T} \psi + \overline{\psi}\gamma^\mu\vec{T}\partial_\mu \psi [/tex]

there's no problem substituting [tex]\partial_\mu\overline{\psi} \gamma^\mu = i\overline{\psi}M [/tex] in the first term of this last gradient but for the second term i don't get [tex]\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu{\psi} [/tex] but rather [tex]\gamma^\mu\vec{T}\partial_\mu \psi [/tex] which differ just by commuting [tex]\vec{T} [/tex] and [tex]\gamma^\mu [/tex]

Same applies to [tex]\partial_\mu\vec{A}^\mu [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

T is a matrix in flavor space. The gammas are matrices in spinor space. I.e. their indices are of different types. You can commute them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook