1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and distance

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Hello, having a little trouble on an intro to physics homework problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two bicyclists, starting at the same place, are riding toward the same campground by two different routes. One cyclist rides 1050 m due east and then turns due north and travels another 1430 m before reaching the campground. The second cyclist starts out by heading due north for 2000 m and then turns and heads directly toward the campground.

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagorean theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the theorem (used 2000 m as C^2 and 1050 m as A^2 since that is the distance that the first biker traveled), doesn't seem to work out.
    I found out that the magnitude for the first biker is 1776? I believe that has to have some relevance to solving this problem.

Thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

What exactly is the question of the assignment?
  4. Jan 25, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, ignore this.. I guessed (probably wrongly) what the question was!
  5. Jan 25, 2007 #4
    oh stupid me..lol

the question is

At the turning point, how far is the second cyclist from the campground?

i guess if i can somehow figure the first one out i can figure the second part which is...

What direction (measured relative to due east) must the second cyclist head during the last part of the trip?
  6. Jan 25, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

All you have to do is draw a 'trapezoidal' sketch and remember what a smart old greek said.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?