Solve Physics Intro Homework Problem: Vector & Distance

• Thread starter RKNY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, two bicyclists are riding towards the same campground by different routes. One cyclist travels 1050 m east and 1430 m north, while the other goes straight north for 2000 m. The question is how far is the second cyclist from the campground at the turning point and in what direction should they head to reach the campground? The Pythagorean theorem can be used to solve this problem by creating a trapezoidal sketch and remembering a quote from a Greek philosopher.
RKNY
Hello, having a little trouble on an intro to physics homework problem.

Homework Statement

Two bicyclists, starting at the same place, are riding toward the same campground by two different routes. One cyclist rides 1050 m due east and then turns due north and travels another 1430 m before reaching the campground. The second cyclist starts out by heading due north for 2000 m and then turns and heads directly toward the campground.

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the theorem (used 2000 m as C^2 and 1050 m as A^2 since that is the distance that the first biker traveled), doesn't seem to work out.
I found out that the magnitude for the first biker is 1776? I believe that has to have some relevance to solving this problem.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the question of the assignment?

Ok, ignore this.. I guessed (probably wrongly) what the question was!

oh stupid me..lol

the question is

At the turning point, how far is the second cyclist from the campground?

i guess if i can somehow figure the first one out i can figure the second part which is...

What direction (measured relative to due east) must the second cyclist head during the last part of the trip?

All you have to do is draw a 'trapezoidal' sketch and remember what a smart old greek said.

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How do you calculate the distance between two points in physics?

The distance between two points in physics can be calculated using the distance formula: d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2], where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the two points.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement in physics?

Distance refers to the actual length of the path traveled, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the starting and ending points. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

4. How do you graph vectors in physics?

Vectors in physics can be graphed using a coordinate system, such as the Cartesian coordinate system. The initial point of the vector is placed at the origin, and the direction and magnitude of the vector can be represented by an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction.

5. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it related to vectors in physics?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In physics, this theorem can be used to calculate the magnitude of a resultant vector that is the combination of two perpendicular vectors.