Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector and distance

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Hello, having a little trouble on an intro to physics homework problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two bicyclists, starting at the same place, are riding toward the same campground by two different routes. One cyclist rides 1050 m due east and then turns due north and travels another 1430 m before reaching the campground. The second cyclist starts out by heading due north for 2000 m and then turns and heads directly toward the campground.

2. Relevant equations
    Pythagorean theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the theorem (used 2000 m as C^2 and 1050 m as A^2 since that is the distance that the first biker traveled), doesn't seem to work out.
    I found out that the magnitude for the first biker is 1776? I believe that has to have some relevance to solving this problem.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

What exactly is the question of the assignment?

4. Jan 25, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, ignore this.. I guessed (probably wrongly) what the question was!

5. Jan 25, 2007 #4
    oh stupid me..lol

the question is

At the turning point, how far is the second cyclist from the campground?

i guess if i can somehow figure the first one out i can figure the second part which is...

What direction (measured relative to due east) must the second cyclist head during the last part of the trip?

6. Jan 25, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

All you have to do is draw a 'trapezoidal' sketch and remember what a smart old greek said.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook