1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and Force Components

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the component of the force [tex]\vec{F} = 2\hat{i} - 2\hat{j} + \hat{k}[/tex] in:

a) the direction [tex](\hat{i} + \hat{j} - \hat{k})/\sqrt{3}[/tex]

b) the direction of the vector [tex]3\hat{i} + 2\hat{j} - 6\hat{k}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]dir \vec{A} = \vec{A}/|\vec{A}|[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I broke [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] down into components [tex]<2\hat{i}, 2\hat{j}, \hat{k}>[/tex]. Then I figured that F goes [tex]2\hat{i}[/tex] in direction [tex]i[/tex], goes [tex]-2\hat{j}[/tex] in direction [tex]j[/tex], then goes [tex]-\hat{k}[/tex] in direction [tex]k[/tex], giving an overall Force component of [tex]<2\hat{i}, -2\hat{j}, -\hat{k}>[/tex].

b) I did the same thing and since the signs in each direction were the same as in a), I ended up with the same answer: [tex]<2\hat{i}, -2\hat{j}, -\hat{k}>[/tex].

It seems to make sense, but I am pretty uncertain, so I thought I would ask here.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

What you are looking for is the projection of the force vector, [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] on the vector giving the direction, [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. Imagine a line extended in the direction of the given vector to be projected on and a line segment representing the force vector, having the same beginning point. Dropping a perpendicular to the line from the end of the segment, you have a right triangle with hypotenuse the force vector. Since [itex]cos \theta[/itex] is "near side over hypotenuse", the "near side", the length of the projection, is [itex]|\vec{u}|cos(\theta)[/itex].

You also need to know that [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}= |\vec{u}||\vec{v}|cos(\theta)[/itex] so that [itex]\vec{u}|cos(\theta)= \vec{u}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex]. That is the length of the projection. To get it as a vector, multiply by the unit vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], [itex]\vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex] which gives

(For the vector in (a), [itex]|\vec{v}|= 1[/itex], for (b), it is 7.)
  4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    So we're imagining a right triangle in which the given [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] is the adjacent side, and the hypotenuse is the line segment stretching from the origin to the point where a perpendicular from the end of [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] crosses the line formed by an infinite extension of [tex]<\hat{i} + \hat{j} - \hat{k}>/\sqrt{3}[/tex].

Then you say that the length of the projection is [tex]|\vec{u}|cos\theta[/tex]. What exactly is [tex]\vec{u}[/tex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook