1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and Forces help

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

three tugboats are pulling on a very small barge in the harbor. Tugboat A is pulling with a 50N force in a direction 30 degrees north of east. Tugboat B is pulling with a force of 80N in a direction directly south, and tugboat C is pulling with a force of 15N in a direction 30 degrees west of north.
    What is the net force applied to the barge by the tugboats and in what direction with it move?

2. Relevant equations
    I did not know an equation to use my teacher didn't use one he drew an axis and I can't figure out a better way to do it I'm so confused!

3. The attempt at a solution

I did 50 - 15 newtons and got 35 and then I took 35 from 80 and got 45 newtons in the south east direction but that's wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2
    You need to find the x and y components of all three of those force vectors. Then you will be able to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. Do you know how to find the individual components?

4. Sep 25, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What KrazySocoKid said - remember: force is a vector so you need the vector sum of the forces.
    You can do this by components or geometrically: head-to-tail.
    Your answer should be a number of degrees from some compass direction.
    i.e. due SE is 45deg south of east.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted