1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and gradient

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if [tex]\phi[/tex] = rk/r[tex]^{3}[/tex] where r=xi + yJ + zk and r is the magnitude of r, prove that [tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex] = (1/r[tex]^{}5[/tex])(r[tex]^{}2[/tex]k-3(r.k)r

so i differenciated wrt x then y then z and tried to tidy it all up but i got1/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image(-3(r.k)r)

When i differenciated wrt x i got -3x/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image and similar for y and z was this right?

then i just put these answers into Click to see the LaTeX code for this image = dx/dClick to see the LaTeX code for this image i + dy/dClick to see the LaTeX code for this image j + dz/dClick to see the LaTeX code for this image k

which gives
    -3xz/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image i - 3yz/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image j - 3zz/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image k

am i right so far? it just seemed to tidy up to 1/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image(-3(r.k)r)

when it should be 1/rClick to see the LaTeX code for this image(rClick to see the LaTeX code for this imagek-3(r.k)r)

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:

This is too difficult to read … everything has "Click to see the LaTeX code for this image" in the middle. :confused:

Can you type it out again, perhaps using ² and ³ and ^4 and ^5? :smile:

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    if [tex]\phi[/tex] = rk/r[tex]^{3}[/tex] where r=xi + yJ + zk and r is the magnitude of r, prove that [tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex] = (1/r[tex]^{}5[/tex])(r[tex]^{}2[/tex]k-3(r.k)r

so i differenciated wrt x then y then z and tried to tidy it all up but i got 1/r[tex]^{5}[/tex](-3(r.k)r)

5. May 14, 2008 #4
    When i differenciated wrt x i got -3x/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] and similar for y and z was this right?

then i just put these answers into = dx/d[tex]\phi[/tex] i + dy/d[tex]\phi[/tex] j + dz/d[tex]\phi[/tex] k

which gives
    -3xz/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] i - 3yz/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] j - 3zz/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] k

6. May 14, 2008 #5
    am i right so far? it just seemed to tidy up to 1/r[tex]^{5}[/tex](-3(r.k)r)

when it should be 1/r[tex]^{5}[/tex](r[tex]^{2}[/tex]k-3(r.k)r)

7. May 14, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not terribly clear what you are doing, but some how you are winding up with only one part of a quotient rule answer. Your initial function is (r.k)/r^3. That's the same thing as z/r^3.

8. May 14, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know there is a 'quotient rule' for grad, yes? grad(f/g)=(g*grad(f)-f*grad(g))/g^2. Does that help?

9. May 14, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi gtfitzpatrick! :smile:

You're only differentiating the 1/r^5.

You need to differentiate the r also. :smile:

10. May 14, 2008 #9
    i differenciated z(x^2+y^2+z^2)[tex]^{-3/2}[/tex] wrt x then y then z, and then filled it into the fomula was this not right?

"you know there is a 'quotient rule' for grad, yes? grad(f/g)=(g*grad(f)-f*grad(g))/g^2"

I didn't know this, does this mean i'm wrong?i haven't seen this formula before what are the f and g's?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  11. May 14, 2008 #10
    so i cant use the product rule?

12. May 14, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It means you are missing a piece of the grad of z/r^3. In terms of the quotient rule, f is z and r^3 is g. You are missing the grad(f) part. Yes, you could also use the product rule, grad(z*r^(-3))=grad(z)*r^(-3)+z*grad(r^(-3)). You are missing the grad(z)*r^(-3) part.

13. May 14, 2008 #12
    thanks for getting back to me, i figured it out i was missing it,god it took me a age to get there Thanks again though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?