Vector and magnitude problem

In summary: So x would be -3.In summary, the magnitude of vector B can be solved by equating the unit vector of B to 5 and solving for x and y. When the resultant vector of B+C points in the positive y-direction, x=0 and y=-4.
fiziks09

Homework Statement

A little assistance with this question:-

A vector, B, when added to the vector C = 3i + 4j yields a resultant vector which is in the positive y direction and has a magnitude equal to that of C. What is the magnitude of B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the magnitude of C to be 5 i.e.

sqrt(3^2 + 4^2)= 5

since the question says this magnitude is equal to that of the resultant vector and taking the unit vector of B to be (x)i + (y)j; i equated it to 5 so i can try to solve for x and y i.e

(x+3)i + (y+4)j = 5

this is where i got stuck..

please any help will be very appreciated .. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So the vector B added to C is B+A=(x+3)i + (y+4)j

if the (B+A) points in the positive y-direction, then what should 'x' be?

When you get that, then apply |B+A| = |C|

i think x would be zero right? if dat's right what wuld y be??
Also ur notation is a bit confusing.. what is the vector A?? Also the vector in the positive y direction is supposed to be the resultant vector i.e B + C BUT u wrote B + A..i'm kinda confused there..

fiziks09 said:
i think x would be zero right? if dat's right what wuld y be??
Also ur notation is a bit confusing.. what is the vector A?? Also the vector in the positive y direction is supposed to be the resultant vector i.e B + C BUT u wrote B + A..i'm kinda confused there..

Sorry, I meant to type 'C', replace 'A' with 'C' is all.

you would have (x+3) being zero.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of vectors and their magnitude. A vector is a quantity that has both direction and magnitude. In this case, the vectors C and B are represented by the components (3i + 4j) and (xi + yj), respectively.

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. Therefore, the magnitude of C is indeed 5, as you calculated.

To solve for the magnitude of B, we can use the given information that the resultant vector (when C is added to B) is in the positive y direction and has a magnitude equal to that of C. This means that the x component of B must be zero, since it is not contributing to the positive y direction.

Using this information, we can rewrite the equation as:

(0)i + (y+4)j = 5

From this, we can see that the y component of B must be equal to 1, since 4 + y = 5. Therefore, the magnitude of B can be calculated as:

sqrt(0^2 + 1^2) = 1

Therefore, the magnitude of B is equal to 1.

In summary, the magnitude of B is 1, since the resultant vector is in the positive y direction and has a magnitude equal to that of C, which is 5. I hope this helps with your homework problem. Remember, when solving vector problems, it is important to carefully consider the given information and use the appropriate equations to come to a logical solution.

What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalar quantities can be described by a single number, while vector quantities require both magnitude and direction to be fully described.

How do you determine the magnitude of a vector?

To determine the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. Alternatively, you can use the formula ||v|| = √(x² + y² + z²) where v is the vector and x, y, and z are its components.

What is the difference between a displacement vector and a position vector?

A displacement vector represents the change in position from one point to another, while a position vector represents the location of a point relative to an origin. Displacement vectors are typically used to describe motion, while position vectors are used to describe the location of an object.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. In the parallelogram method, you draw both vectors as adjacent sides of a parallelogram and the resulting vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram. In the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other and draw a vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors.