1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and scalar addition

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    T/F: The addition of two scalars is equivalent to the addition of parallel vectors.
    Select one:
    a. False
    b. True

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i said true reason being the magnitude of vectors can be added if they are in the same direction by tail to tip method.
    is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't say so. Although the magnitudes may be the same, vector addition still has direction, scalars ahve none. What if the parallel vectors are in opposite directions?

4. Feb 8, 2014 #3
    I'd say it's true. I think by "equivalent" it means that the two are just analagous, so for scalars you just add the magnitudes, and for parallel vectors you also just add the magnitudes. I think by "parallel" it implies that they are both in the same direction, instead of being anti-parallel.

5. Feb 8, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe yes. But we have to guess what is meant by 'equivalent' and to a certain extent, 'parallel' vectors. I think the question needs to be tossed in the trash.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted