1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and Tensor Exercise

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm currently trying to work through some issues I'm having with tensor and vector analysis. I have an equation of the form
    $$\textbf{a} \bullet \textbf{b} = \textbf{c} \bullet \textbf{d}$$
    where all quantities here are vectors. I want to solve for ##\textbf{b}## by finding an equation of the form
    $$\textbf{b} = \overline{\textbf{T}} \bullet \textbf{d}$$
    where ##\overline{\textbf{T}}## is a tensor. However I'm not sure the proper mathematical procedure to go about this. Any suggestions?

2. Relevant equations

That's what I'm here for.

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2
    Hi. You can't possibly do that without imposing more constraints on your vector:
    In tensor language, the vectors are contracted on both sides so you can't "solve" for b.
    This may be confusing because a⋅b looks like a vector expression but it's really a scalar; if you want to solve for a vector you need a vector expression.
    Look at the simplest example in 2 dimensions:
    a⋅b = cd ⇔a1b1 + a2b2 = c1d1 + c2d2
    You see that you would need two equations to solve for the two variables b1 and b2 , and for every additional dimension you need an additional constraint...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted