Calculating Arc Length of a Vector Function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the arc length of a given parametric curve using the arc length formula. The individual has difficulties simplifying the integral and asks for assistance. After receiving help, they are able to simplify the integral and find the solution.
rwisz

Homework Statement

Find Arc Length:
r(t)=t^3 i+tj+(1/2)[tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex]t^2k 1[tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex]3

Homework Equations

The arc length formula:
integrate: sqrt((dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2+(dz/dt)^2) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the derivative and plug into the formula, it's just the simplification that is absolutely stumping me. I haven't done this for a long time, which is always why my TeX is horribly put together.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've gotten to here so far:

[tex]\int_1^3 \! \sqrt{9t^4+1+6t^2} \, dt.[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression under the square root is a perfect square. Factor it!

Thank you. I'm sorry for the nonsensical post, I guess I was way too tired to not have that jump out at me.

Again, thank you.

1. What is the vector arc length problem?

The vector arc length problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the length of a curve in a vector space. This problem is commonly encountered in calculus and physics, where it is used to calculate the distance traveled by an object along a curved path.

2. How is the vector arc length problem solved?

The vector arc length problem can be solved by using the arc length formula, which takes into account the magnitude of the vector and the angle it makes with the coordinate axes. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities.

3. What are some real-world applications of the vector arc length problem?

The vector arc length problem has many real-world applications, such as determining the distance traveled by a car on a curved road, calculating the displacement of a projectile, and finding the length of a cable suspended between two points.

4. Are there any limitations to solving the vector arc length problem?

One limitation of solving the vector arc length problem is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for complex curves. Additionally, this problem assumes that the curve is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How is the vector arc length problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The vector arc length problem is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as integration, differentiation, and parametric equations. It also has connections to physics, as it is used to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path.