Vector Area Integration: Proving Properties

In summary, The vector area of a hemispherical bowl of radius R is R^2\sin \theta d\theta d\phi \hat r.
Reshma
The vector area is given by the integral [itex]\vec a = \int_s d\vec a[/itex] for a surface s.

I have three problems to prove based on this:

1] Find the vector area of a hemispherical bowl of radius R.

I solved a bit of this.
The area element for a hemisphere is given by [tex]d\vec a = R^2\sin \theta d\theta d\phi \hat r[/tex].
So,[tex]\vec a = R^2\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin \theta d\theta \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\phi \hat r[/tex]

How am I supposed to integrate over the unit vector [itex]\hat r[/itex]?

2] Show [tex]\vec a = 0[/tex] for any closed surface.

3] Show [tex] \vec a[/tex] is the same for all surfaces sharing the same boundary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

[tex]\hat r = \frac {x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat k}{r}[/tex]

Does this mean I have to convert all the factors into Cartesian coordinates, since I have used spherical polar in this case?

No, but you should now convert x, y and z to their spherical forms.

The basic problem is that the direction of the unit vector [itex]\hat r[/itex] varies with position. The Cartesian unit vectors, however, have fixed directions.

Tide said:
No, but you should now convert x, y and z to their spherical forms.

The basic problem is that the direction of the unit vector [itex]\hat r[/itex] varies with position. The Cartesian unit vectors, however, have fixed directions.

I converted them and after making the necessary evalutions to the integral, I got:
[tex]\vec a = \int_s d\vec a = \pi R^2\hat z[/tex]
What does this equation mean?
How is the vector area different from the scalar area particularly in this case?
Why is [itex]\vec a = 0[/itex] for closed surfaces?

Essentially what you are doing is adding the "differential of area" vector at each point. It should be easy to see from the symmetry of this problem that the resultant will be in the z direction. It should also be easy to see that for any closed surface, for each point there will be a point where the vectors are pointing in the opposite directions.

1. What is vector area integration?

Vector area integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area of a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a vector field over a surface to determine the total area.

2. What properties can be proven using vector area integration?

Vector area integration can be used to prove various properties related to surfaces, such as the divergence theorem, Green's theorem, and Stokes' theorem. These theorems relate the flux, circulation, and curl of a vector field to the surface area it passes through.

3. How is vector area integration performed?

Vector area integration involves breaking down the surface into small, infinitesimal areas and integrating the vector field over each of these areas. The results are then added together to find the total area. This process can be done numerically or analytically using mathematical formulas.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector area integration?

Vector area integration has numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the electric and magnetic flux through a surface, determining the work done by a force on a moving object, and finding the flow of fluids through a surface.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector area integration?

Vector area integration can be complex and time-consuming, especially for surfaces with irregular shapes or non-uniform vector fields. It also requires a good understanding of vector calculus. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the integration process and the assumptions made during the calculations.