Vector as a Velocity-Help please >_<

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation revolves around studying for a test and struggling with understanding vector as a velocity and solving related questions. The specific question mentioned is about determining the plane's heading and the duration of the trip, given the airplane's speed and direction and the presence of a crosswind. The person seeking help mentions trying to draw a vector diagram to visualize the situation.
Hollysmoke
I'm studying for an upcoming test but I'm having trouble understanding some of the aspects of vector as a velocity, and answering the questions. Here's a question that I am stuck on:

The pilot of an airplane flies at 800km/h wishes to travel to a city 800km due east. There is an 80 km/h wind from the northeast.

a) What should the plane's heading be?
b) how long will the trip take?

Thank you for your help ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
What I tried to do was draw a vector east for the 800km/h, and there should be northwest wind vector to form a paralleogram. Not sure though...

nvm figured it out

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of its magnitude.

2. How is velocity represented as a vector?

Velocity is represented as a vector by using the same conventions as a regular vector, with the arrow pointing in the direction of the object's motion and the length of the arrow representing the speed or magnitude of the velocity.

3. What is the difference between vector and scalar quantities?

Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, while scalar quantities only have magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

4. How is the direction of a vector represented?

The direction of a vector is represented by the angle it makes with a reference axis or direction. This can be measured using a protractor or calculated using trigonometric functions.

5. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must follow the rules of vector addition and subtraction. This involves placing the vectors head-to-tail and using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.