1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector base?

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am reading Ramamurti Shankar Quantum mechanics and I have a thing where is "vector base", how can I understand this "vector base"? please tell me what it means that I can ex. solve equation in eigenvector base? what it means that somewhere is a vector base? I need this to quantum mechanics, help please:) thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't have the text you cited and have never read it. Could the term be basis? A basis is a collection of linearly independent vectors that span a subspace of some vector space. For example, the set S = {(1, 0), (0, 1)} is a basis for R2.

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    thanks for help, and this basis is vectors which can be used to create any possible vector in this space? what is a "eigenvector basis" or something? i saw it somewhere

5. Jan 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, a basis can be used to generate all possible vectors in the vector space or subspace spanned by the vectors in the basis. In the simple example in my previous post, every vector in R2 is a linear combination (the sum of scalar multiples) of the vectors in the basis. E.g., (3, 5) = 3(1, 0) + 5(0, 1).

An eigenvector basis is a basis consisting of a set of linearly independent eigenvectors of some linear transformation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook