1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector basic problem

1. Oct 8, 2017 #1
    Mod note: Moved to Precalc section
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the midpoint of the vector AB

A(3,2,5) B(1,3,2)

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote each point in terms of the unit vectors, i,j,k then I subtracted the two, and divided by a 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the future, please do not just describe what you did. Show us what you did and what result you got.

Now. Why did you take the difference and divide by two? Why do you think that will give you the midpoint? If you think just about real numbers, say 4 and 10, which number is the midpoint between those and do you get it by taking (10-4)/2?

4. Oct 8, 2017 #3
    Because vector AB is point B relative to A, and so I subtracted the two to find the new point, and then wrote the new point in the form of i,j and k unit vectors. I then divided in order to the midpoint of the the new vector. However, I am not sure why it is that it doesn't work with the numbers you wrote (4 and 10), can you please explain?

5. Oct 8, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This gives you the difference vector between A and B, not the midpoint. Consider the case when A and B are the same point, you would get zero.

What would you do to mathematically find the midpoint between 4 and 10?
    Edit: It is obviously 7, but how do you reach this conclusion?

6. Oct 8, 2017 #5
    To find the midpoint between 4 and 10, I add 4+10 and divide by 2.

7. Oct 8, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So why are you not doing the same for your problem?

8. Oct 8, 2017 #7
    Oh, I see.

9. Oct 8, 2017 #8
    I have another question, to write A(3,2,5) as a position vector, it would be 3i+2j+5k correct?

10. Oct 8, 2017 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming that the (3,2,5) are the Cartesian coordinates, yes.

11. Oct 8, 2017 #10
    What if I was asked just to find the position vector AB?

12. Oct 8, 2017 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

AB is not a position vector, it is a difference vector.

13. Oct 8, 2017 #12
    Yes, I know.. I meant that what if we were supposed to find a position vector, AB, is that possible? and what if I wrote AB (difference vector) in the form of I,j, and k? wouldn't it be a position vector? Assuming A and B are cartesian coordinates?

14. Oct 8, 2017 #13

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. It would only be a vector. The only thing that is a position vector is the vector from the origin to a given point. AB is not such a vector.

15. Oct 8, 2017 #14
    Alright, do you suggest that in order for myself to solve vector problems that are in R^3, it would be helpful to use an analogy in R^2?

16. Oct 8, 2017 #15
    last two questions, 1)if I added the two vectors are wrote them in I,j,and k, will I get a position vector?
    2) Will there ever be a case where I will not be able to find the midpoint of AB?

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful. I apologise for taking much of your time. Have an amazing day!

17. Oct 8, 2017 #16

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We need to be careful of the wording of the question. As stated, I think that the vector AB is (-1, 1/2, -3/2). That is the vector originating at (0,0,0). The vector from A to B is exactly the difference as stated in the OP and the midpoint of that vector is obtained as stated in the OP.

If the problem had asked for the midpoint of the line from A to B, I think that would be different. That would be (A+B)/2. Or if the question had asked for the vector from the origin to the midpoint between A and B, that would also be the vector from the origin to the point (A+B)/2 = A + (AB/2)

PS. I'm using bold to indicate vectors because I have never been able to consistently get the vector symbol to work.

18. Oct 8, 2017 #17

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think the question in the OP is very well worded. I suspect it might not be stated exactly as given.

In my mind it does not make sense to ask for the "midpoint" of a vector. You only ask for the midpoint between to given points. If I wanted half the distance vector between the points, I would ask for half of AB. I suspect the problem might have come with a figure indicating AB as the vector from A to B. In that case, the midpoint of the vector would indeed be the midpoint between A and B. Without further specification and the problem stated exactly as given, we simply do not know.

19. Oct 8, 2017 #18

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree.
    Good point.
    I agree. It's unfortunate that the wording is so treacherous.

20. Oct 8, 2017 #19

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try ##\vec A##. It will render as ##\vec A##.

21. Oct 9, 2017 #20

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. After some experimenting, I see that it was when I tried to use a bold letter as a vector that it didn't work for me:
    Not bold: ##\vec A##
    Bold: ##\vec A##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted