Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector book

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    hi,
    I am at high school level, I just started with vectors,but topics given in my school books
    didn't seem enough to me, they are just too brief and unorganized.

could any one tell which book could best for me, to study vectors?????????

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2
    Let me just ask you a few questions.

Are you at the level of drawing out the vectors, and using bith trig and pythagoras to find the resultant? Have you done any work on inclined plains?

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3
    yes I am just starting with addition ,multiplication , and using orthogonal vectors

5. Jan 20, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Any conservative, old, trigonometry book should be helpful. What book are you currently using? I found a Trigonometry book by Larson & Hostetler of a few years old, seems to be good. Information about handling vectors is more difficult; so maybe you just need to concentrate on this more than other topics.

6. Jan 21, 2008 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i like adams and shifrin. i also have a free linear algebra book on my website.

there was good beginning book by paul shields a long time ago, that started in 2 and 3 dimensions.

heres one for a dollar:

Elementary linear algebra (ISBN: 0879010258)
    Paul C Shields
    Bookseller: thriftbooks.com
    (Auburn, WA, U.S.A.)
    Bookseller Rating:
    Price: US$ 1.00
    [Convert Currency]
    Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 3.75
    [Rates & Speeds]
    Book Description: Worth Publishers. Book Condition: Good. Spend Less. Read More. Millions of satisfied customers and climbing. Thriftbooks is the name you can trust, guaranteed. Bookseller Inventory # G0879010258I3N00

7. Jan 21, 2008 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

and here is one written especially for high school students in the 1960's:

Introduction to Matrix Algebra
    School Mathematics Study Group
    Bookseller: Ship Today Books
    (Charlotte, NC, U.S.A.)
    Bookseller Rating:
    Price: US$ 29.00
    [Convert Currency]
    Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
    US$ 3.50
    [Rates & Speeds]
    Book Description: Yale Univ. Press 1961, 1961. Very good plus. Bookseller Inventory # 4021418

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

8. Jan 21, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The difficulty, sadhu, is that you didn't tell us what kind of vectors you are interested in.

I suspect that you are dealing with vectors as "arrows", perhaps representing motion, velocity, or acceleration. That's the kind of "vector" CrawfordK and symbolipoint are talking about (although your response "yes I am just starting with addition ,multiplication , and using orthogonal vectors" doesn't really help distinguish).

Mathwonk is talking about vectors in "Linear Algbra" a more abstract, mathematical treatment that is taught in some highschools.

9. Jan 21, 2008 #8
    I have started with spatial vectors , involving triangle law and more importantly their application in geometery

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?