What is the speed of a box pulled by a tension force after a given time?

The force? The velocity? In summary, the problem involves a 10 kg box on a frictionless surface with a rope tied to it being pulled horizontally with a tension force of 75 ˆx + 25 ˆz N. The question asks for the speed of the box after 0.05 seconds, with answer choices ranging from 0.132 m/s to 0.395 m/s. The solution involves using the equation pf = pi + Fnet*dt and finding the magnitude of the force, then using the equation vf = (Fnet *dt)/m to solve for the final velocity. The vectors will need to be broken down into their x and z components to find the magnitude of the force
quickclick330

Homework Statement

4. A box of mass M=10 kg is at rest on a frictionless level surface (like an ideally smooth
ice rink). A rope tied to the box is pulled horizontally, such that the tension in the rope is
(vector-->)T = 75 ˆx + 25 ˆz N, where both the x-axis and the z-axis are parallel to the floor. What is
the speed of the box after 0.05 seconds?
1. 0.395 m/s
2. 0.264 m/s
3. 0.198 m/s
4. 0.158 m/s
5. 0.132 m/s
6. 0.000 m/s

Homework Equations

pf = pi +Fnet*dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this problem, I'm just having trouble when it comes to the vectors in this case.

Pf = pi + Fnet*dt
{pi = 0) so..

Pf = Fnet*dt

p = mv

mvf = Fnet* dt

vf = (Fnet *dt)/m

But I'm stuck on the vectors...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand your notation... Can you explain them?

This question is quite fundamental... Since the force is given in vector form, you must first find the magnitude of the force. It should be clear where you should be heading to afterwards.

Notation for which part?

1. What is a vector box of mass problem?

A vector box of mass problem is a physics problem that involves finding the net force acting on an object, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the forces involved.

2. How do I solve a vector box of mass problem?

To solve a vector box of mass problem, you must first identify all of the forces acting on the object and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector addition to calculate the resultant force and determine the direction of the object's motion.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar quantity?

A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar quantity only has magnitude. In a vector box of mass problem, forces are represented as vectors because they have both magnitude (in newtons) and direction (in degrees or radians).

4. Can I use a calculator to solve vector box of mass problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve vector box of mass problems. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you understand how to input vectors using the calculator's vector functions.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector box of mass problems?

Vector box of mass problems are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and even sports. For example, engineers use vector box of mass problems to design structures that can withstand different forces, and athletes use them to optimize their movements and performance in sports such as track and field or swimming.