1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calc, answer check

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    Hi all, i'm currently revising for a second year moduel by looking through past exam
    papers, i dont have the answers to these papers but i do have similar questions so i'm
    trying to piece together the answers from what i do have, i think this is right but would
    be greatful if someone could check it through so i'm not revising the wrong thing for the
    next few weeks, thanks

1(a) Let V be a vector space over field K. What is meant by saying that W is a vector
    subspace of V?

my answer: Assuming W as a subset of V, W is a subspace if and only if the following 3
    criteria are satisfied

(I)W contains the zero vector
    (II)if uand vare elements of W then so is (u+v)
    (III) If u is an element of W and c is a scalar from K then cu is also an
    element of W

(b) Which of the following are vector supspaces of R3? Give proofs or
    counterexamples. as appropriate.

(i) W1 ={(x1,x2,x3E R3) :
    x1 + 5x2 + 6x3=0

(I)If (x1,x2,x3) E W1 and (x4,x5,x6) E W1

so that x1 + 5x2 + 6x3=0
    and x4 + 5x5 + 6x6=0
    then (x1+x4,x2+x5,x3+x6)
    lies in this space since we get
    (x1+x4) +5(x2+x5) +6(x3+x6)= (x1+5x2+6x3)+(x4+5x5+6x6)=0

(III) If (x1,x2,x3) E W1 and c E R ( is this R or R3)?
    then x1+5x2+6x3=0 implies that cx1+5cx2+6cx3=0c

therefore c(x1+5x2+6x3)=0
    therefore C0=0 therefore W1 is a subspace of R3 as this holds also

(ii)W2 ={(x1,x2,x3E R3) :
    x1*x2*x3=0
    x1,x2,x3=(0,0,0) satisfies x1*x2*x3=0
    (II)if (x1,x2,x3 E W2) and
    (x4,x5,x6 E W2
    so that x1*x2*x3=0 and x4*x5*x6=0
    then (x1+x4)*(x2+x5)*(x3+x6)=(x1*x2*x3)+(x4*x5*x6)=0
    this is not the case as (1,0,0) and (0,2,2) would both satisfy x1*x2*x3=0 but together would give (x1+x4)*(x2+x5)*(x3+x6)+4 therefore W2is not a subspace of r3

thanks in advance for checking it through hopefully its right

Few more questions i've attempted now, pritty sure these are right but a 2 minute check over cant hurt right? thanks again
    consider the following subspaces of R3

U={(a+3b,a,b) : a,b E R V={(c,0,0) : c E R W={(4d,d,d) : d E R

giving brief reasons, determine whether or not
    (i)R3 =Udirect sumV
    (ii)R3=Udirect sumW
    (iii)R3=Vdirect sumW

only done the first one so far but will update/edit as i complete the others

(i) check that VnW=(0,0,0), if (x,y,z)=(a+3b,a,b)=(c,0,0)
    then we have x=a+3b,y=a=0,z=b=0
    this gives a=0,b=0 and therefore c=0
    i.e. (x,y,z)+(0,0,0)
    next we show every vector (x,y,z) can be writen w+v with vE V and w E W
    we need to solve x=a+3b+c
    y=a
    z=b
    and we can getting
    b=z
    a=y
    c=x-y-3z

i beleive that the mere fact that these solve shows that they are a equal to R^3? correct me if i'm wrong thanks :)

(ii) bit stuck on this one or might just not be sure what my answer shows
    first check that UnW=(0,0,0) i dont think it does because i get
    (x,y,z)=(a=3b,a,b)=(4d,d,d)
    then x=a+3b=4d,y=a=d,z=b=d
    which i cant make a zero out of so i cant get (x,y,z)=(0,0,0) so i beleive this shows me not only that R^3doesnt equal Udirect sum W but it also shows that there not a direct sum in the first place?
    just took another look at it now and i'm almost convinced i'm right with (4,1,1) being an example of a non zero vector?

(iii)
    without writing it all out at the end i get d=z=y and c=x-4d so i get c=x-4y or c=x-4y, does this show that it does work as the equations are solvable or does the d=z=y alter things some how?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Looks ok. You could also combine II and II by noting that [tex]au+bv \in W[/tex] if given a,b are any elements of K and u,v are any vectors in V.
    It's R.
    You should also show that the zero vector is also present in this subspace, for which x1=x2=x3 = 0.

Yes, that is a correct counter-example.

You meant UnV, right.

Yes, ok to me.

Yes, looks ok. You've shown how to find values of a,b,c (and hence vectors belonging to U and V) such that any (x,y,z) in R3 is expressible in terms of these. And as above, you meant U,V not W I guess.

If you wrote the three subspaces U,V,W as the linear span of some vectors you should be able to see that the sole vector in the basis of W is a linear combination of the other two vectors in the basis of U. Then clearly it can't be a direct sum since [tex]U \cap W \neq {\mathbf{0}} [/tex].

Again it helps you have already expressed the three subspaces in terms of linear spans of some specified basis. Then take note of the number of linearly indepedent vectors in [tex]V\oplus W[/tex].

4. Dec 22, 2008 #3
    thanks mate, most helpful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?