Vector Calc Questions - Answers and Solutions

• Thread starter mohamma1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about the OP asking for help with math problems and others pointing out that the OP needs to show their work and thought process in order to receive effective help. The OP argues that they do not have time to explain everything and the others point out that this is necessary for understanding and retention.
mohamma1
Ignore.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How "help" you? All you have done is post the problems. If you don't tells what you DO understand about the problems, or show us what you have tried and where you are stuck, I don't know what we can say that will help.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I just need explanations on how I should do those questions. I've done all the others questions, but I got stuck on those.

mohamma1 said:
I'm not trying to be rude, but I just need explanations on how I should do those questions. I've done all the others questions, but I got stuck on those.

You still haven't shown what you tried and where you are getting stuck?

Don't worry, a mod can close or delete this thread. Apparently it was too much to request. Next time I'll take pictures of my dry erase board and post them.

mohamma1 said:
Don't worry, a mod can close or delete this thread. Apparently it was too much to request. Next time I'll take pictures of my dry erase board and post them.

You are mistaken. Getting help here is not too much of a request, asking others to do your work for you, is. There is no need to take pictures of your dry erase board, you can simply show your steps on here by typing them out and then saying "now I'm stuck" or "I think the next step is... but I don't know how to logically get there". A few of the questions you got stuck on were proof questions, at your level it seems those are pretty rare but if you continue to take math courses, you will get more and more of them - you need to get used to spending hours on a single problem. Some of your problems seemed to have been purely computational, which suggests that you haven't looked up formulas, that is not good. At the very least when you ask a question you should know all the definitions and formulas that apply to that question.

Considering I am voluntarily doing the problems, its not work I'm trying to have other people do for me. Like I said even one clear, not beating around the bush, answer would have helped. I didn't have time explain everything I knew about the questions b/c I was studying.

It IS work you are trying to have others do for you, maybe not work that you have to turn in but work you have to understand since hopefully those questions are reflective of what will be tested. If you don't have time to explain everything you know about a problem and show your thought process, then why would you expect others to take their time out :-). The point of this forum, IMO, is to help guide students to the right answer by showing where their flaw in logic comes into play. If you show your work, people can point out that you made an error in either computations or logic and you will remember it better rather than looking at someone's solution and going "oh yeah that looks right". Good luck in your studies.

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of multivariable functions, particularly those involving vectors and their derivatives. It has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force are represented as vectors.

2. What are some common operations in vector calculus?

Common operations in vector calculus include vector addition and subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector-valued functions.

3. What are the main differences between scalar and vector quantities?

A scalar quantity is a single value, such as temperature or mass, that has only magnitude. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

4. How is vector calculus used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus is used in many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of objects in physics, analyzing fluid flow in engineering, and modeling population dynamics in biology. It is also used in computer graphics to create visual effects and in data analysis to identify patterns and trends.

5. What are some helpful resources for learning vector calculus?

There are many helpful resources for learning vector calculus, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. Online platforms like Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free courses on vector calculus.