1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calc

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    1(a) For the vector function q(x,y,z)=(xy-z2)i +(yz+x2)j +(xz-y2)k calculate

(i)∇ . q (ii) ∇ . q (iii) ∇ x (∇ x q)

verify that the identity ∇ x (∇ x q) = ∇(∇ . q - ∇2q

i have answers of y+z+x,(-3y,-3z,1x) and (3,-1,3) respectivly for the first part but cant fathom the second part, mainly because subbing back in (which i presume is how this is shown) the part where i sub in y+z+x for (∇ . q) what do i now do with ∇ . (y+z+x). the fact that i end up with this leads me to beleive that subbing in is wrong but if it is i really dont know where to go, help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's nothing wrong with 'subbing in'. But you want to compute the gradient of (y+z+x). Not the divergence.

4. Dec 26, 2008 #3
    the gradient being d/dx, d/dy or d/dz and why?

5. Dec 26, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The gradient of a scalar function u is (du/dx,du/dy,du/dz). (y+z+x) is a scalar function. Look up the definition of gradient. Both sides of your identity are vectors. What's the laplacian of q?

6. Dec 26, 2008 #5
    so then that gets me down to ∇2q=(-2,2,-2) if i'm not mistaken is this the same as doing ∇(∇ . q) giving me ∇ . (y+z+x)=(-2,2,-2) which gives me (1,1,1)=(-2,2,-2) ? (something tells me i'm missing a scalar here)

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6
    i assume that if i have made a mistake that's not going to be clear enough so i'll show my working ∇x(∇xq)=∇(∇.q)-∇2q

(3,-1,3)=∇.(y+z+x)-∇2q
    (3,-1,3)=(1,1,1)-∇2q
    (2,-2,2)=∇2q
    (2,-2,2)=∇.(d/dx,d/dy,d/dz).q=(y+z+x).∇
    (2,-2,2)=(1,1,1)

8. Dec 26, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't take ∇ . (y+z+x). y+z+x is a scalar function. The problem says you should take it's gradient. Like I said before.

9. Dec 26, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To find the laplacian of q, take the second derivative of q with respect to x (getting a vector), the second derivative wrt y and the second derivative wrt z and add all three vectors. That's what the ∇^2 is supposed to convey.

10. Dec 26, 2008 #9
    so im left with (3,-1,3)=(2,-2,2)+ ∇(∇.q)

so (3,-1,3)=(2,-2,2)+∇(y+z+x)

so ∇(y+z+x) is just the gradient of (y+z+x) and is just (1,1,1) which makes both sides equal nice on. i am right in thinking this ∇(y+z+x) is dot prod not cros rite?

11. Dec 26, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's just gradient. ∇(∇ . q)=∇(y+z+x)=(1,1,1). As you said.

12. Dec 26, 2008 #11
    orite, so now we have that cleared up i've managed to get almost instantly stuck on the second part of the question. Consider the vector fieldq=yzcos(xy)i+xz(cos(xy)j+(sin(xy)+2z)k show that ∇xq=0

i tried to solve this like i did part 2 of question 1 ((∇x q)) by using the determinant, however i end up with =zcos(xy)+yxz cos(xy) -2 instead of zero?

13. Dec 26, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you wind up with a scalar instead of a vector?? E.g. the x component of the curl should be d/dy(sin(xy)+2z)-d/dz(xzcos(xy)). What's that? What are the other two components?

14. Dec 26, 2008 #13
    i ended up with erm det{(i,j,k),(d/dx,d/dy,d/dz),(yzcos(xy),xzcos(xy),sin(xy)+2z

giving me i((d/dy*sin(xy) +2z)-(d/dz*xzcos(xy)) -j((d/dx(sin(xy)+2z)-(d/dz*yzcos(xy))+k((d/dx*xzcos(xy))-(d/dy*yzcos(xy)

giving me (xcos(xy)-xcos(xy))i - (ycos(xy)-ycos(xy))j + ((zcos(xy)-yzxsin(xy))-(zcos(xy)-(yzxsin(xy))=0

ok so maybe i didnt get that but i do now and thats what matters sorry silly mistake:P i'll be back in 10 minutes when the next question trips me up (joke i hope) thanks for all your help very kind of you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?