1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculations

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Consider the point P at position ⃗rP = (−3.0 mm)ˆı + (4.0 mm)jˆ. Give an expression for rˆP , the unit vector in the direction of ⃗r.

2. Consider the point P from exercise 1 and another point Q at position ⃗rQ = (8.0 mm)jˆ. Give an expression for rˆPQ, the unit vector in the direction from P to Q.

2. Relevant equations

Not much really..maybe length formula

3. The attempt at a solution

I was wondering...x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) i +y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) plug it in to get (3/5)i+(4/5)j

For part two..would I subtract rQ-rP...so 4.0j-[-3.0i+4.0j)? Or would it be 4.0j-[(3/5)i+(4/5)j)? Then do the same..x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) i +y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are a lot of characters in what you wrote that aren't rendering correctly, so I'm not 100% sure of what you wrote.

One relevant equation that you didn't think to add is the one for the magnitude of a vector. If v = ai + bj + ck = <a, b, c> is a nonzero vector, then a unit vector with the same direction as v is (1/|v|)v = (1/sqrt(a2 + b2 + c2))<a, b, c>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook