Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus chain rule

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    Hi. I was looking for a chain rule in vector calculus for taking the gradient of a function such as f(A), where A is a vector and f is a scalar function. I found the following expression on wikipedia, but I don't understand it. It's taking the gradient of f, and applying that to A, and then writing nabla A ?? Can anyone tell me what's going on?

fcd0ce7679df0e7387af5f353182e420.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Consider ##A = [a(x,y,z) \hat x + b(x,y,z) \hat y + c(x,y,z) \hat z ],## and ##f(A) = f(a,b,c),##
    then ##\nabla f(A) = \hat x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\left[\frac{\partial a}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial b}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial c}{\partial x} \right] +
    \hat y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\left[\frac{\partial a}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial b}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial c}{\partial y} \right]+
    \hat z \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\left[\frac{\partial a}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial b}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial c}{\partial z} \right]##
    ##\nabla f = \hat x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \hat y \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}+ \hat z \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}##
    Also, ## \nabla A = \pmatrix{\frac{\partial a}{\partial x} &\frac{\partial b}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial c}{\partial x}\\
    \frac{\partial a}{\partial y} &\frac{\partial b}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial c}{\partial y} \\
    \frac{\partial a}{\partial z} &\frac{\partial b}{\partial z} & \frac{\partial c}{\partial z}}##
    So if you carry out the matrix math and rearrange the terms,
    fcd0ce7679df0e7387af5f353182e420.png
    You will see that the equation is true.

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    Thanks. How would that look in spherical coordinates ?

5. Jan 24, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just going to answer the first question in a different notation. I like this version of the chain rule: ##(f\circ g)_{,i}(x) =f_{,j}(g(x)) g^j{}_{,i}(x)##. Here ##_{,i}## denotes partial differentiation with respect to the ##i##th variable, and ##g^i## denotes the real-valued function that takes ##x## to the ##i##th component of ##g(x)##. I'm using the convention to not write any summation sigmas, since the sum is always over the index that appears twice. For example, if I write ##X^i_k Y^k_j##, it means ##\sum_{k=1}^n X^i_k Y^k_j##.

Note that the ##i##th component of ##\nabla(f\circ A)(x)## is ##(f\circ A)_{,i}(x)##.
    $$(f\circ A)_{,i}(x)= f_{,j}(A(x))A^j{}_{,i}(x) =\nabla f(A(x))\cdot A_{,i}(x) =(\nabla f\circ A)(x)\cdot A_{,i}(x).$$ I suppose we could also write this as
    $$\nabla(f\circ A)(x) =(\nabla f\circ A)(x)\cdot\nabla A(x),$$ but I don't see why we'd want to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook