1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus HW question

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://faculty.fiu.edu/~maxwello/phz3113/probs/set1.pdf

I'm working on problem 2. Trying to prove that the dot product between a vector field and its curl is zero.

2. Relevant equations
    The basic identities of vector calculus and how scalar fields and vector fields interact

3. The attempt at a solution
    My only real attempt is expanding what was given using an identity. What i have now is that

f(del X A) = A X del(f)

In my head the proof is trivial since by the very definition of the cross product, the new vector while be perpendicular to both vectors that served as the argument. I do have a question though. In the above notation and in the identity when they say f(del X A) do they mean to input the curl vector as an argument for the scalar function? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't precisely know which vectors you were referring to by "both vectors", but I have a feeling that you are concerned with ##\mathbf{A}## being always perpendicular to ##\nabla \times \mathbf{A}## because the cross product in between the last expression makes it perpendicular to ##\mathbf{A}##. I believe this is not necessarily the case. Anyway, the more elegant way is to multiply by dot product the identity you have there with ##\mathbf{A}##.
    No, they are just vector multiplied with a scalar.

4. Dec 18, 2015 #3
    Yeah what i mean is if A X B = C then C must be perpendicular to A and B so if your doing Del X A = C then C must be perpendicular to A but maybe that is not the case when your talking about del?

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of the identities involving curl is ##\nabla \times (f\mathbf{A}) + \mathbf{A}\times \nabla f= f(\nabla \times \mathbf{A}) ##. Try multiplying by dot product both sides with ##\mathbf{A}##. An example in electromagnetism is one of the Maxwell equations, ##\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\partial \mathbf{B} /\partial t##, in most cases electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular, except for certain cases like that in the wave propagation in waveguides (for example see http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...ric-and-magnetic-fields-are-not-perpendicular).

6. Dec 18, 2015 #5
    yeah i got the answer thanks alot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted