1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus Identities

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

div(øu) = ødivu + ugradø

2. Relevant equations

divergence of scalar field = f,ii
    divergence of vector field = ui,i

3. The attempt at a solution

I've heard this is a simple proof, but this is my first one of 8 or so proofs I need to complete for homework, and I'm really not sure where to start. I know that div v = ∇ . v, but that's as far as I've gotten. We need to use Index Notation. Thoughts on where to start?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not start by applying the definition of the divergence of a vector field to ##\phi\mathbf u##? Please don't use the empty set symbol instead of ##\phi##. I found it very confusing, and it took me some time to understand what you meant. If you don't use LaTeX, and can't find another way to type a ##\phi##, then just call the scalar field f or something like that.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll be more careful with the lettering in the future. I've actually figured this one out now. It was the product rule that I wasn't sure about, now that I've worked it through (and several other identity proofs). Now, I'm on the divergence of (u cross v) identity.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted