Proving Vector Calculus Identity Without Introducing Coordinates

In summary: Certainly a nice goal to try to prove this without ever introducing coordinates, but I suspect this will be quite hard. To start with, you'll need a coordinate free definition of curl. This is likely to either be very nasty (limits of integrals or that sort of thing) or require a lot of machinery, drawing from the language of differential forms. Even then it's a bit of a mess. This is partly because the curl and the vector cross product are very special objects particular to 3D, with no natural extension to other dimensions, and partly because the objects in the identity use a lot of the structure of the space (it uses the metric and the orientation, used for Hodge dual, covariant derivative, and musical isomorphism
plasmoid
Can someone help me prove the identity

[tex]\ u \times (\nabla \times u) = \nabla(u^2 /2) - (u.\nabla)u[/tex]

without having to write it out in components?

Physics news on Phys.org
plasmoid said:
Can someone help me prove the identity

[tex]\ u \times (\nabla \times u) = \nabla(u^2 /2) - (u.\nabla)u[/tex]

without having to write it out in components?

Have you considered using the Vector Triple Product?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product

chiro said:
Have you considered using the Vector Triple Product?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product

Yes I have, but that doesn't give me the 1/2 in the first term ...

plasmoid said:
Yes I have, but that doesn't give me the 1/2 in the first term ...

So the first term is given by del (u . u) Where . is the dot product.

Now u . u = |u|^2.

Also you have to realize that u^2 doesn't make sense if u is a vector (at least in the traditional sense). Using the result above which is valid for any inner product, you will get

del (u . u) = |u|^2 (del) where |u| is the norm of u.

Maybe you should check the syntax again, based on the arguments I've presented above.

You can't really use the vector triple product since del isn't actually a vector. Your identity is related to it though, and with care will give you the right answer, since the method of proof for your identity is essentially identical to the proof of the triple product.

Do you know about the Levi-Civita or completely antisymmetric symbol [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex]? Using this is the easiest way to prove this sort of identity.

chiro said:
So the first term is given by del (u . u) Where . is the dot product.

Now u . u = |u|^2.

Also you have to realize that u^2 doesn't make sense if u is a vector (at least in the traditional sense). Using the result above which is valid for any inner product, you will get

del (u . u) = |u|^2 (del) where |u| is the norm of u.

Maybe you should check the syntax again, based on the arguments I've presented above.

How is del (u . u) = |u|^2 (del) ?

henry_m said:
You can't really use the vector triple product since del isn't actually a vector. Your identity is related to it though, and with care will give you the right answer, since the method of proof for your identity is essentially identical to the proof of the triple product.

Do you know about the Levi-Civita or completely antisymmetric symbol [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex]? Using this is the easiest way to prove this sort of identity.

Yes, but using the Levi-Civita symbol will essentially mean writing out the components, and I was trying to prove it without doing that...

plasmoid said:
Yes, but using the Levi-Civita symbol will essentially mean writing out the components, and I was trying to prove it without doing that...

Yes, fair point. I took your aim to be avoiding having to laboriously write out every single term in full.

Certainly a nice goal to try to prove this without ever introducing coordinates, but I suspect this will be quite hard. To start with, you'll need a coordinate free definition of curl. This is likely to either be very nasty (limits of integrals or that sort of thing) or require a lot of machinery, drawing from the language of differential forms. Even then it's a bit of a mess. This is partly because the curl and the vector cross product are very special objects particular to 3D, with no natural extension to other dimensions, and partly because the objects in the identity use a lot of the structure of the space (it uses the metric and the orientation, used for Hodge dual, covariant derivative, and musical isomorphism if you like some jargon).

I'd be very interested if anyone has an idea for a cunning strategy!

What is a vector calculus identity?

A vector calculus identity is a mathematical equation that relates different vector operations, such as dot product, cross product, and gradient. These identities are used in vector calculus to simplify calculations and prove theorems.

What is the dot product identity?

The dot product identity, also known as the scalar triple product, is a vector calculus identity that relates the dot product of three vectors. It states that the dot product of three vectors can be expressed as the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the three vectors.

What is the cross product identity?

The cross product identity, also known as the vector triple product, is a vector calculus identity that relates the cross product of three vectors. It states that the cross product of three vectors can be expressed as the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the three vectors.

Why are vector calculus identities important?

Vector calculus identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex vector operations and prove mathematical theorems. They are also used in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

Can vector calculus identities be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, vector calculus identities can be extended to higher dimensions. The dot product identity can be generalized to n-dimensional vectors, while the cross product identity can be extended to 7-dimensional vectors. However, some identities may not hold in higher dimensions and may need to be modified.