1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus identity

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    In the notes it says that

[itex] \text{v}\cdot \nabla \text{u} = |\text{v}|\frac{du}{dl} [/itex]

[itex] \text{v} = (a(x,y), b(x,y)) [/itex]

l is the arclength in the v-direction.

Why is this?

The LHS is the projection of v onto the gradient of u, the other thing is the magnitude of v, multiplied by the du/dl.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

l is the arclength of what in the v direction? And you haven't told us what u is. Nor what v represents. What we have here is an example of "guess the question". Since I have a bit of time on my hands, I will expound a bit about a question I think might be relevant.

Let ##u(x,y)## be a scalar field, perhaps the temperature at ##(x,y)##. Let a curve ##C## be given by ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t), y(t)\rangle## represent the location of a moving particle. What if we want the rate of change of ##u## as the particle moves along ##C##? Well we have$$
    \frac{du}{ds}=\frac{du}{dt}\frac{dt}{ds}=
    (u_x\frac {dx}{dt}+ u_y\frac{dy}{dt})\frac{dt}{ds}$$Multiply both sides by$$
    \frac{ds}{dt}=\frac 1 {\frac{dt}{ds}}$$to get$$
    \frac{du}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}=u_x\frac {dx}{dt}+ u_y\frac{dy}{dt}=
    \nabla u\cdot \frac {d\vec R}{dt}= \nabla u\cdot \vec V$$

where ##\vec V## is the velocity of the particle. Since ##v = \frac{ds}{dt}=|\vec V|## is its speed, this can be written$$
    |\vec V|\frac{du}{ds}=\nabla u\cdot \vec V$$This looks a lot like your result, using ##s## instead of ##l## for arc length. There may be a more direct way of getting the result but, hey, I'm not even sure I worked the problem you were thinking about.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. Dec 3, 2012 #3
    It is the derivation for characteristic projections in PDEs. First order linear PDE with the form

## a(x,y) u_x + b(x,y) u_y + c(x,y) u = d(x,y) ##

##v \cdot \nabla u + c u = d \Rightarrow |v| \frac{du}{dl} + cu = d ##

So I have looked at what you wrote, you have parameterised it so that s is the position or arc length along some curve C?

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Now, I am not a PDE expert so I'm not going to comment directly on your PDE question. I do suspect, though, that if you look at and understand what I have done, it will likely apply to your context. Good luck with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook