1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus Line Integral

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A region R is bounded by the curves y = 12.x and y=5.x^2
    If I = (5/12).x^2 .y i + (y/12.x) j

find the contribution to the line integral
    Integral I.dl = Integral (I(x) dx + I(y) dy)

taken in the anti clockwise direction with respect to the region R along the curve y = 5.x^2 only.

ANSWER: 52.376

2. Relevant equations

Green's Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I been working on this problem for almost a day can someone please tell me the right way to attempt this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Are you required to use Green's theorem to solve this? Because if you don't you can evaluate the line integral directly without having to use the closed curve line integral minus the line integral constribution along the straight line.

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have "been working on this problem for almost a day", why don't you show us what you have done in that day? This looks like a pretty basic path-integral problem.

Go back to the original definition of line integral:

Write x and y in terms of a single parameter. Since here the curve is defined by a function of y, y= 5x2, you can use x itself as the parameter. With y= 5x2, what is dy in terms of dx? What is I(x,y) in terms of x only?

By the way, your notation is confusing. I(x,y) is a function of two variables. I(x) and I(y) make no sense. Do you mean the x component and y component if I(x,y)?
    Also, is "y/12.x" supposed to be "y/(12x)" or "(y/12)x"?

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4
    I have attached original file, my working outs are all on paper I dont have a scanner or else i would have attached them as well.

Attached Files:

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    i am also having problem to do path integrate which is similar problem. Could you please show me how to attempt the question ! thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?