1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus Problem

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Equation for plane that passes through the point (2,-1,3) and is perpendicular to the linev=(1,-2,2)+t(3,-2,4)?

I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to go since the only examples in my book show the plane perpendicular to a vector written in a different form. Not in this one
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a line is given in the form (x0, y0, z0[/sub])+ t(A, B, C) then Ai+ Bj+ Ck is a vector pointing in the direction of the line. Is that enough?
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    So is it supposed to be that I can find the plane based on simply that vector since any of the normal vectors would be orthogonal to the plane?
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well the normal will be perpendicular to the plane, but so is the line v. So wouldn't the normal to the plane be given by the direction of the line v? Given the normal to the plane and a point in the plane, you should be able to calculate the equation of the plane.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?